
Being a teacher definitely has its ups and its downs. Yesterday reminded me of one of those "ups." The last day before Christmas break, or as we call it in the public education system "Winter Break," I was inundated with gift bags from students coming in the door. Many of the students in the community that I teach come from affluent families. I was gifted all of the regulars: candles, body washes, chocolates, another one of those Willow Tree Angel of Learning statuettes (I'm building a village of them!), and GIFT CARDS! Doug and I never have to pay to go out to eat, gift cards from students usually last the whole year with how often we actually eat out. This year, I actually got some pretty thoughtful gifts. One of my students got me a cute stocking for my cats. Another one got me a nice plaque thing to help decorate my house. Working in the DC Area, I actually have quite a few students that their dads' work for the Secret Service. We now have a nice metal ornament in our tree that says, "Seasons Greetings from the Secret Service." It probably has a mini camera and a microphone inside...

If you're trying to figure out what to get for a special teacher in your life or your child's life, here is a little advice... They already have plenty of socks, soaps, candles, and mugs. It's not that I'm ungrateful for the things that I received because I loved and appreciated every little thing including the drawing that was titled, "Marry Chrismas." What teachers really need YEAR ROUND is support and the occasional thank you. (A gift card is always nice though!)
Christmas break has officially started. I think I will spend my time reading, planning for school, playing with my camera, and maybe the occasional blogging. Yay! Christmastime is here!
LOL @ the secret service ornament having a microphone and camera!!
ReplyDelete