Friday, February 24, 2012

Some Optimism

So, I had been trying to email my doctor to come up with a short extension for my plan for treatment, but either she was being unclear or I was because I got so confused! Anyway, I finally scheduled a phone appointment with her and we talked for about 30 minutes today. She was at work at 6:30 on a Friday night when she called me. (I happened to be at work as well, but that's just because I don't have a life... and Doug is out of town this weekend.)

Apparently, my Lupron shot wears off almost a full week before I thought it was going to, but not soon enough to matter for Doug's travel dates. I am going in on Monday or Tuesday this next week to get a ONE month Lupron shot. I think all of the crazy emotion I've been feeling this last little while is my hormone levels changing from my three month shot wearing off. I'm down to about three hot flashes a day instead of more than a dozen. That's good because I think it shows that my system is trying to return back to normal.

We also were able to schedule a follow-up ultrasound in a couple of weeks to make sure that this shot is actually working. If my second shot has worn off by April 1st (meaning no hot flashes), then they will start me on the Clomid again. Clomid isn't a super strong fertility drug, but it should (hopefully) bring my fertility up to what it would be if I didn't have endometriosis.

Of course, there was a disclaimer once again (although now I take them more seriously) that my system may need a "jump start" with some birth control after the Lupron if my brain and ovaries have somehow forgotten how to communicate and need a little push.

So that's my health update! I feel so high maintenance! :)

As far as the classroom, things have been going pretty good. The no-talking mornings were actually pretty nice this week and I'm actually sad to see them go on Monday. I've joked with the other teachers that my kids probably all scared of me right now. I've been acting like some crazy two-headed monster. Every morning I greet my students at the door with a smile and a "Good morning!" :) In the room though if one of them talks, the scary Mrs. "S" comes out. "I said NO TALKING!" and I have this kind of mean/serious look. Sometimes I have to go out into the hall to smile without them seeing me, so I still am taken seriously.

I've been really worried that my students will not enjoy school anymore with this new two-headed monster-ness. Today in my compliment bucket (We do weekly compliments for each other.) there were four different compliments from students all having to do with them liking my smile or how I greet them in the morning. It was nice to know that I haven't crushed their spirits.

Their behavior as a class is SOOOOOO much better after our talks last week. Seriously, I rang the bell this morning to get their attention and they all stopped IMMEDIATELY and listened to directions. The Spanish teacher happened to still be in the room and looked like she was going to faint from disbelief. :)

Doug will be back Saturday night and I get to enjoy him for a WHOLE week before he is off to Thailand for a month. His boss who has traveled extensively and is still happily married offered to let him borrow his sliding scale of travel gifts for the spouse. He has apparently figured out a "tried and true" formula for how much you need to spend on gifts for your wife in relation to how long you will be traveling. I should probably get something good for a full month, right?

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate the update as I was wondering what the next step was. And that is too funny about the smiling in the hallway. When Heather and I go over each other's house, we discipline each other's kids just as if they were our own. But it is hard to be stern, and than actually stay serious and not smile or laugh. So you will be perfectly practiced when your little one comes along :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad things are looking up (besides Doug being gone for a month). Sounds like you've got good control of that class, which is in and of itself quite an accomplishment. Kailey hasn't said anything about any two-headed monster, so I'm pretty sure what you're doing isn't freaking anybody out too much.:) Thanks for all you do!

    ReplyDelete