Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Year's Intentions

Well, I could say that I'm going to make some New Year's Resolutions, but I'm hoping that by calling them intentions I will somehow actually follow through and complete these things.

#1: Figure out this motherhood thing little by little. Try not to be too hard on myself and remember to relax and not take things too seriously. I don't want to turn into one of those over protective moms that won't let anyone touch their child. I want to be able to enjoy the little moments and not permanently screw up my child... too badly.

#2: Be a good wife. I'm really worried about how mine and Doug's relationship will change with parenthood. Things are pretty good right now, but I know that parenthood can definitely be a stressor on a marriage. I've never really been too much of a crazy, hormonal, clingy person, but I have this fear that no sleep, a dramatic shift in body chemistry after childbirth, and a lack of adult conversation during the day might just do me in.

#3: Work on my TpT (Teachers Pay Teachers) store. Back in July when I started posting the stuff on this site that I create, I never really thought anything would come of it. Amazingly enough, I've actually sold quite a bit of stuff. I've made over $800 since July and I haven't touched it since this summer. I'm hoping that if I really put some time into it that it can be a potential second income once I stay at home. Going down to one income basically freaks me out BIG time. I've always had my OWN money... and now I won't.

#4: Make friends with people in my ward. I know like 5 people well-ish in my ward and that's from the different callings I've had combined with visiting teaching after almost 5 years. I tried to blame it on the fact that Doug and I were just about the only childless couple in the whole ward, but I need to get better about attending activities outside of church on Sunday. I think that is when people socialize, right? I won't have work anymore, so this is my new social group. Hopefully I fit in!

#5: Learn to sew and be crafty (and stuff). I've always wanted to learn how to do all of that craft-like stuff, but I never really had time with work. Now that I'll be staying home, maybe I'll have more time, maybe? I spent my TpT profits on Doug's Christmas presents his year, so my next goal will be to buy a sewing machine. My mom is like a pro at basically everything crafty - quilting, sewing, cross-stitching, knitting, crocheting - you name it. I'll try to learn from her instead of just bringing my clothes to be hemmed. :)

#6: Be more thoughtful. This is definitely a character trait that I wish came more naturally to me. I'm not saying I'm not a nice person because I think I'm pretty darn nice ;) ...but I'm NOT thoughtful. I feel like such an idiot most of the time after the fact. For instance, I was hanging out with some friends from high school for lunch one time and we hadn't seen each other in a while. My one friend had just had a baby and EVERYONE else bought her a little baby gift. I just showed up. I felt like such a jerk. Another example, I went to Doug's house for Christmas. I had been so worried about surprising Doug for Christmas that I realized THE NIGHT BEFORE Christmas at like midnight that I hadn't gotten a single present for ANYONE in his family. They all got me something. Dang, why am I such a loser... So yeah, I need to get better at this. If I've been an inconsiderate thoughtless jerk to you, I apologize... I am working in it.

#7: Make my house into a home. We will have been living in our house for 5 years this February. It still looks like no one lives here. I finally got paint (mostly... kitchen is still half done) up on the main level and Doug has brought a bunch of artwork and such back from his overseas travel that we have put up, but I really feel like I'm missing that homey feel and I REALLY want it. I walk into people's homes and I think, THIS house has it. How do I do it? Will it come naturally with me spending more time home? I hope so!

I leave it at that. Seven is a lot! Any tips for anything above would be much appreciated. I need all the help I can get!

2 comments:

  1. I think you will be just fine in accomplishing ALL your goals this year--But you have a busy year, so don't be too hard on yourself if some get carried over to next year. Add a #8 to your list: Don't be so hard on yourself!) But I think that deciding that you want to learn new things and are aware of the changes that are to come and the ones you want to make in yourself puts you ahead in accomplishing them already!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just relax and trust your instincts. You are one of the best people I know and are already an amazing wife and mother. Don't worry about what other people are doing or what GOOGLE says, do whatever feels right. Also, don't be afraid to put yourself out there and inisiate friendships. You are a great person and if you make the effort you'll be friends with every person in your ward. Lastly, Kim is right, don't be too hard on yourself ;)

    ReplyDelete