Our big milestone this last month was trying solid food. You had been watching daddy and I eat during dinner time every night with complete fascination. One night about a week after you turned four months old, your daddy and I were sitting at the table and you were in your Bumbo watching us. We were discussing whether or not you were ready for solid food and then I said, "She probably doesn't even know what this spoon is for!" and I brought it near your mouth. You leaned forward, opened your mouth, and nearly bit the food off my spoon. We decided to start you the next night. :-)

I mashed up some avocado and mixed it in with some breast milk. I started with very small bites and you picked it up rather quickly. You loved solid food! It's been several weeks since then and you have tried rice cereal and oatmeal, sweet potato, butternut squash, acorn squash, green beans, bananas, and applesauce. I've been making your food and freezing it into ice cube sized portions, so it's pretty easy to get your dinner ready. I always taste test your food and have actually developed a taste for the different squashes. :-) Your daddy thinks I'm crazy! I'm not sure it's "recommended" but we give you a taste of our dinner each night if there is some sort of sauce. You loved the Indian curry we had last night! You are good at eating your food every night, but you LOVE to try mommy or daddy's food!
You started sitting up by yourself this month with support. I still have to keep a hand or a boppy behind you because you still fling yourself back and have bopped the back of your head more times than I would like to admit. Whenever you are laying on your back, you struggle and try to sit up. It looks like you are doing mini crunches!
We still do tummy time every day and you will lay on your tummy and play with toys for almost 10 minutes on a good day. I thought last month that you would be crawling by now, but you have not put together the different motions. (Whew!) You recently have started scooting backwards, but you do not have forward crawling motion down yet.
You surprised me this month by starting to stand while holding onto things. You've liked to push yourself to a standing position from a very young age, but you always needed help. We have a wooden toy with a bead roller coaster on top that a friend gave to us and you INSIST on standing up and playing with the beads. You always look so grown up when you do it.
You still love your Jenny Jump Up, but you aren't merely standing in it and moving around anymore. You are JUMPING! You have also become increasingly vocal. We call them your dinosaur noises because you're not really making any consonant sounds like mama or dada. You just like to yell... and sometimes scream which is not the greatest, but I know that you are just experimenting with your voice (and giving daddy a headache).
In order to stay busy, we walk to our local library once a week for storytime and drive to a bigger one with more programs twice a week. We go to a Rhyme, Rhythm, and Tune time with your BFF Brooke which is pretty noisy, but you love to watch all of the excitement. We also do Babygarten classes. Those are nice because they are more developmentally appropriate for you and we get to hang out with babies the same age as you.
You FINALLY have become ticklish to the point where you laugh. I've been waiting for this moment for a while! You used to just squirm and look at me like, "Hey lady, that's uncomfortable!" but now I can get you to squeal and smile. It makes my heart melt!
Each day we try to read a story, and this month I decided to start giving you choices. I put 2-4 books in front of you and wait for you to grab at a book. I always just assumed that you were touching the book that was closest to you, but one day I switched them up and you reached for the SAME book in a different place! I couldn't believe it! Your favorite book is still Dr. Seuss' ABC's and you barely sit still for any other book. You like to help me flip the pages in the books we read. A couple Sundays ago, you grabbed at the hymn book and started turning the pages. Your daddy and I were pretty entertained.
A little over a week before you turned 5 months, we decided to move you into a highchair that hooks on the side of the table. It's nice because you can't break out of it like the Bumbo and I can prepare and cook most of dinner while you are entertaining yourself with toys on the table. Your favorite toy right now is this musical farm themed toy. You love to spin the wheels on it. You always turn your head and look excited when the opening musical sequence plays " Welcome to our learning farm..."
Grabbing things isn't so new anymore. You grab at EVERYTHING! You even like to grab at my face and hair.... and pull! Your accuracy is improving and you can pick something up or even grab at the hanging toys on your play gym and get them on the first try. You are still working on getting your pacifier into your mouth. Speaking of pacifiers, here is a picture of you using one your Aunt Morgan got for you.
Grabbing things isn't so new anymore. You grab at EVERYTHING! You even like to grab at my face and hair.... and pull! Your accuracy is improving and you can pick something up or even grab at the hanging toys on your play gym and get them on the first try. You are still working on getting your pacifier into your mouth. Speaking of pacifiers, here is a picture of you using one your Aunt Morgan got for you.
We recently tried a sippy cup and you caught on pretty quickly. I let you chew on the tip and put some breast milk it. You got really excited and started grabbing and it and bringing it to your mouth. You usually hold onto it with just one handle which doesn't get it to your mouth so well. It's pretty hard to get much out of those sippy cups anyway with all the spill proofing!













No comments:
Post a Comment