Doug and I basically did nothing this long Columbus Day weekend, but it was nice to just have an extended amount of time together. Saturday, we met my parents at Five Guys to celebrate Doug's graduating from school. We saw a lot of friends that we haven't seen in a while that are in my parents' stake and it was nice to catch up. It was also nice to have a big double patty bacon cheeseburger (on my dad's tab) as a graduation present for Doug. Yes, Doug graduated from his training for work... finally! He was second in his class and I'm really proud of him for all of his hard work! Unfortunately for me, this doesn't quite mean that he's finished with his apartment. He now has some on the job training until December... but the end is in sight.
As you've read in previous blog posts, I've been having some car troubles. Last night Doug was loading up HIS car so he would be ready the next morning to leave for work. When he was unlocking the car, he happened to notice that the locks were kind of slow coming up. He got in his car to start it and his battery was DEAD. We jumped it with my car and took a late trip to Walmart in his car to buy a battery and installed it right there in the parking lot. (Walmart parking lots at night are scary places.) I had called my parents earlier to let them know that we might need a car if it was a more serious issue, but it turned out that it was only the battery. As I was hanging up the phone with them, I let them know that they might want to be on alert if something went wrong in the morning and we needed a last minute extra vehicle.
Fast forward to this morning... Doug car started up without an issue and he was on his way at around 5:45am. I was ready and out the door by about 6:15am. My car started up just fine and I headed out of the development. Just as I was pulling out of the development, my car decided to rev the engine, but not actually move forward. (I'm pretty sure this has something to do with the transmission.) The guy behind me, decided to start honking his horn at me and made me feel really bad. I was able to pull out of the neighborhood and turn around in the Squircle to head back. (I wrote about the Squircle here.) I pulled my car into the garage and called my family to have Chris take me to work. I was not going to take chances and be on the side of the road again.
My little brother, once again, needed to take me to work. I got there only 5 minutes after my students were in the door and had a nice day for the most part. The art teacher at my school lives a couple houses down from me and was willing to bring me home today. We left right at 3:00pm, yes that is about 5 hours earlier than I usually leave! All of my teammates were standing in the hallway in absolute shock as I walked out the building! :) I got a name and number of a mechanic in my town from my home teacher who happens to be located RIGHT next to my neighborhood. I was able to drop it off around 4:00pm and walk the short distance home. I'm just waiting on the call to see what in the heck is wrong with my car.
I'm hoping it's not too expensive of a fix!
No comments:
Post a Comment