Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Snowmageddon 2.0

Doug and I headed over to Home Depot to get some paint for our dining room on Wednesday the 10th. After several days snowed inside with nothing to do, I finally decided on a color for the dining room. My friend Cassie recommended an application on Sherwin William's website. It helped tons! We bought two buckets of RED Behr paint with the primer already included.

The icicles at my parents house were huge! This isn't even the biggest one, it was the only 
one that I could reach with all of the snow on the back deck!

 We knew that the second part of the storm was coming, but we were hoping to make it back home in time. We went to go pick up the paint and when we left the store the roads were completely covered and slick. Luckily, my parents only live about a mile away from that Home Depot, so we went to their house instead of trying to brave the roads all the way home. It was nice to have a change of scenery after being snowed in at our house for several days with only each other for entertainment, but we were ready to get home and sleep in our own bed after a couple days.

We headed back home Friday morning and couldn't even make it into our garage with the additional accumulation and snow drifts. After about an hour of shoveling snow and a slight detour of making an igloo, we finally made it inside.

Our igloo! Doug and I are really just big kids!

Once we got inside, we got right to work painting the dining room. Red paint is REALLY hard to work with it, but I really liked the color and Doug said yes, so we went for it.

Here are some pictures of us painting...







  
The room after the first coat of paint.
 
Doug and I were both pretty skeptical after the first coat of red paint. It didn't really look that good and it was discouraging after all the work that we had put into it. We had bought plenty of paint, so we did a second coat... and third the next day to make sure that the walls would have a solid, even coverage.

Sherwin Williams projected results:



Actual Results:

Note: We didn't actually use the Sherwin Williams paint that I put on the wall 
in the Visualizer, but I picked one that looked close at Home Depot.

I like it. I think it totally transforms the room! I want to paint Doug's office across the entry hall a dark blue (I think) during my upcoming spring break. We'll see if he agrees to the color.

4 comments:

  1. We have a similar color in our basement. We did primer first, but we still had to add like 5 layers. Red is so much work, but I do love the results! Your room looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love when people say good things about me in their blogs! i'm so in love with the colors you've picked, i'm glad that site helps :) keep up the good work, you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great color!! It really adds warmth to the room--I think your igloo could use some warmth too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!!! The house we are getting already has that color painted in the living room (thank goodness I dont have to paint!!!)

    ReplyDelete