Sunday, May 16, 2010

5 Years

Doug and I celebrated our 5 year wedding anniversary this weekend.  Yes, 5 years.  Our first milestone anniversary!  I loved Doug more than I could possibly imagine whenever we were married.   If you would've asked me if it was possible to love him more than I did at that point, I'm not sure I would've believed it.  It's been an awesome 5 years!

On Friday, we used one of the Subway gift cards I received during Teacher Appreciation Week for a quick dinner, bought anniversary presents for each other at the mall, and then went to go see Robin Hood.  It was a good movie.  I'm not the violent movie type, but this one didn't bother me.  I haven't really figured out why though.  It was nice to be able to just spend time together with how demanding Doug's work schedule has been lately.  I'll probably rant about his work schedule in a future post.  This post, I'll keep dedicated to anniversary talk.

Saturday, Doug made reservations at some nice restaurant in Tyson's Corner called The Capital Grille.  Doug really likes seafood, but I'm more of a steak person, so he picked this place for me.  A friend of his at work recommended this place pretty highly and Doug was excited that it had complimentary valet parking.  It was a beautiful day/evening, so we took the S and kept the top down.  Not that I usually try to do my hair really fancy or anything, but I didn't even try.  I was going for the wind swept look. ;)


Capital Grille was REALLY nice.  They put little heart confetti on our table so everyone that passed by us wished us a happy anniversary.  At first I was wondering if they made some secret announcement to the staff or something, but then I realized that our table was one of the only ones with the little hearts.  I totally figured out their code!

We both started with a bowl of the most amazing lobster bisque soup I have ever tasted... well I guess it's the only lobster bisque soup I have ever tasted, but still it was GOOD.  They brought out this bread basket that had like 6 different types of bread it in.  All very tasty.  Doug and I both ordered steaks.  I can't remember the exact name of the steak that I ordered, but it was HEAVEN.  I have literally never tasted a steak so amazing in my whole life.  We also had a side order of lobster macaroni and cheese because of a recommendation by a friend.  It was excellent as well.  Before we ordered, the server told us to save room for dessert because he would be purchasing it for us as an anniversary present.

One of the things about this place that makes it so fancy is it's impressive wine list.  Doug and I do not drink so we were obviously there for the steaks.  The front of the menu listed appetizers, soups, salads, and the main courses.  The complete inside of the menu listed the wines and it was in like 8pt font or something.  We let the waiter know at the beginning of our meal that we did not drink, so they took away the wine glasses.  When we ordered our dessert, we picked some yummy strawberry ice cream.  There was no description on the menu, but it was highly recommended by our waiter.  We started from the top (obviously).  Doug and I scooped from the bottom of the dish at the same time and got quite the surprise.  I'm pretty sure there was some sort of alcohol in the bottom of this dish.  I have not tasted any sort of alcohol before, but I've smelled it and Doug and I both agreed that we had probably just sampled our first taste of alcohol accidentally.  Needless to say, we did not finish it, but we had already polished off most of it anyway.  My first reaction... yuck... I guess it's an acquired taste or something.

The waiter took a picture of us when we were received our dessert and I handed him my camera to take a digital picture as well.  We had a great time!




3 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! That sounds like a great weekend! I've heard about the Capital Grille, but never been there. Sounds excellent! I don't know your husband very well, but he must be pretty awesome to deserve someone like you!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! You guys are so adorable together, always doing fun things and being so cute and happy. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete