Thursday, September 22, 2011

Good Days and Bad Days

Yesterday started out Baaad, yes with a capital B.  One of my more demanding students this year injured some safety patrol and then came in the classroom screaming and out of control.  Then, about 5-10 minutes later several students ran to me at the door telling me about a weapon that had been brought into the classroom.  It wasn't scary because that student is not violent at all and there were absolutely no violent intentions, but it was quite a way to start the day.  On Wednesdays, I get one planning break at the very beginning of the day and that was taken up dealing with the first two situations.  Needless to say, we just tried to have a calm day after that.  I'll admit we watched a Reading Rainbow on trees that only matched up with the standard I was teaching about 75% of the way.

Then during lunch, I got a call from my mom who was waiting at my house for the delivery guys to bring the couches for the basement.  Apparently they didn't think it was going to fit down the stairs to the basement so they wanted my approval for a waiver that said that they would not be held liable if the couch knocked and holes in the wall and/or was broken in the process.  I went ahead and had her sign it because I was kind of desperate to get the couches in on a day that my mom could be there and I wouldn't have to take off work. I was really sweating it because I was pretty sure this was going to thing number three. Then, I got the text...

It was in with NO holes in the walls and NO damage to the couch.  I'm pretty sure we'll be selling them with the house though. :)

Here's a picture of the couches in the newly finished basement.

I stayed late at school, got a bunch of grading done, and then called a friend who I used to work with that could give me some advice on some situations I was dealing with.  It was great to vent, but more awesome to come up with some possible solutions even if they only work temporarily.

Before going to bed, I said a prayer where I mentioned something that I was thankful for in each one of my current students.  It helped me realize just how good of a class I have this year.  Even though I have some interesting personalities in my class, it will be OKAY and we are going to have an awesome year.

Today was a much better day. :)

Oh and one more thing that made today just that much more awesome.  Doug called and told me that he would be able to come home this weekend and SEE ME!!!!!  It will have been 18 days since I have seen him in person (the longest by far in our marriage).  I have missed him SO much and can't wait to see him TOMORROW even though I know it will only be for the weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You are amazing! I can't believe all you do everyday and also all the people you influence. I am impressed how you handle a very demanding class with such a positive attitude and a smile even for the toughest kids. I have to admit, I ended this email in tears, and I'm not really the emotional type. But I realized that (besides your obvious natural teaching abilities) you are an awesome teacher because you pray about your students and about teaching. If only more teachers knew they could rely on that kind of power and source of strength. Thank you, thank you for being the awesome teacher you are. You've already made a huge difference in Kailey's attitude towards school. Have a great weekend with your husband too!!

    ReplyDelete