Sunday, January 22, 2012

Free Babysitting?


First off, I'd like to thank all of those that commented on my post, Operation: Nursery.  I am using many of your ideas as I try to add a little structure to the nursery program.

I've done nursery now three times and I feel like I know what I'm doing even less each time I'm there.  My first day doing nursery, I was enthusiastic and ready to make it all work.  I came home afterward and made the little schedule cards below, I googled for fun ideas, read nursery blogs, and even researched the developmental milestones for the ages of the children I would be working with. 


My second week in nursery happened... and not at all as I had planned.  The schedule cards that I had fun making are at the bottom of my nursery bag and still have yet to make an appearance.  Now after my third week, I'm not even sure I will use them at all.  It seems like all of our time is spent just trying to keep the little ones from crying.

After a month in my calling, I've now met and talked to the other two nursery teachers.  One is a college student and the other is a newlywed.  All three of us were there today for the first time.  I think they've both been doing nursery for about the last year or so.  Both are very nice, but they seem pretty quiet right now and it makes the two hours there pretty lonely.

Nursery doesn't seem like it should be all that challenging.  I don't have to spend hours preparing a lesson.  My class doesn't text or complain.  We get snack and play time!  It shouldn't be that hard.  The manual for nursery is wonderful.  The lesson on prayer today had some great interactive ideas.  I loved all of the ideas and was completely prepped before nursery today.  I really thought it would go well.

In my work as a teacher, I am constantly looking at the facial expressions of my class to be able to direct my lesson.  I use their reactions and participation to gauge interest and understanding.  Today I got a bunch of blank stares, drooling, and crying.  I don't feel like I have super high expectation for them, but it was really hard to even teach a lesson for five minutes.  Right now, I'm trying to adjust my expectations to their age group and figure out what will get their attention and participation.

Trying to structure two and three year olds seems kind of like herding cats at this point.  My ideas for organization and structure keep fading away each week I am there.  Next week, I will get to see someone else teach a lesson for the first time, so I am really interested to see what works and get more ideas. 

I'm trying not to get discouraged about the calling, but I feel like I'm starting to think about this calling as it seems everyone else does... as free babysitting.

3 comments:

  1. I'm in this same calling and it's the hardest calling to have. The parents of these children rarely understand how hard it is. It is free baby sitting! More often then not the it's a thankless free babysitting. This is my 3rd time being called into nursery and this is what I've learned: When you have the kids who are 18-24 months a lesson that is 5 min. or less is about all they can handle. Sometime before 3 they can listen to a lesson for about 5-7 min. Often I feel like my efforts are not worth it and/or that they don't work. I do have to say though being on the other side of things, I feel so happy when Ethan and Carter (Carter right now) want to sing "Jesus Wants Me For A Sun Beam" and "I Am A Child Of God" and that he can sing the words. It's because of wonderful nursery leaders that make and effort in the lessons that help Carter know he is loved.
    When it comes to being a nursery leader I have to say it's the pits. I think it takes a VERY special person who likes the calling. I hope you get a chance to rotate every few Sundays to make it to other classes and get a spiritual recharge. Sometimes when I'm in nursery trying to do what I've been called for it's hard to feel like it's worth it but seeing my boys learn about the gosple even in the most basic of ways helps me KNOW it's worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard, and it really depends on the kids you have. And that can change from week to week/month to month/ward to ward, etc. Not trying to brag, but you probably would love to teach my daughter in nursery :o) She is one of the very FEW that will actually pay attention. Part of that is because she is a girl, and part of that is her personality. But it is very easy to get discouraged, especially if it feels like you aren't "accomplishing" anything. But if they know they are loved by you, the other leaders, and most importantly by Heavenly Father, then you're doing well! Olivia LOVES nursery! She thinks going to church IS nursery. After the opening prayer in Sacrament she will say; "ok now we go to church" lol. And I know in part, one of the reasons why she loves her nursery is because of her nursery leader. But honestly I have never thought about it as "free babysitting". Maybe that just depends on the people in the ward and their attitudes. You are doing a great service for others so that they may attend/teach their classes. I know last week I was SO thankful our nursery allowed me to drop off my nephew (17mo old) along with my daughter cause Trent and I both teach! Nursery is hard...but I would just continue to pray for guidance. When I was in primary I did that often! :o) Good luck with everything! And thanks for keeping us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really mind doing the "free babysitting" as I have referred to it because I know that parenting is a hard job and it's probably nice to get a break on Sundays for a couple of hours. I don't have children yet, so my Sundays are my own. The reason that nursery is frustrating to me is because I had all of these hopes and dreams of some organized program. My sunbeams would always smile and run to me when they saw me. My nursery kids cry and run AWAY from me. It's a hard change.

    ReplyDelete