Saturday, January 14, 2012

Side Effects

So the hot flashes started last week... I was teaching and I suddenly felt my face get flushed like I was embarrassed. It's not anything severe, but definitely noticeable. They last for only a few seconds and I usually have maybe a dozen or so a day. I don't even know if my face turns red. My students haven't said anything about it, but I've felt like a broken record the last week, so I'm not even sure they're looking at me or into outerspace...

I've also been waking up several times a night. It really pretty impossible to get too warm in my house, seeing that we turn the thermostat down to 60 during the night, but it happens to me several times a night. I've always been freezing cold while I sleep. I used to wear a huge sweatshirt to bed and turn my heater blanket way up. Now, I'm in a T-shirt, my heater blanket is on low, and I usually drink 1-2 full water bottles each night. I see why my doctor said it was a good thing to go through this in the wintertime. :)

The best side effect though, is that I have no pain at all in my right side!

I was a little worried in the beginning that the shot would be ineffective like the birth control was and I would just be wasting more time, but I guess completely shutting down your estrogen shuts down the endometriosis as well. I'm definitely missing my estrogen though. My hair and nails have become really brittle and break easily. Hopefully everything returns to normal whenever this shot wears off.

I still have a ways to go, but these side effects make me feel a little bit more confident that this medicine is working.

1 comment:

  1. That would be miserable, but after having spent 3 summers pregnant, I can commiserate with the hot flashes mixing with heat. Winter would me much better! I look forward to hearing good news from this and am so hopeful that this works and you can have a cute little babe in your arms. I promise it is worth every heart ache. Wishing you luck Jenny!

    ReplyDelete