A few weeks ago, I got an email from Babycenter about potty training your toddler in three days. The potty training expert said that she preferred to use her method on those 15-28 months because they can become resistant to potty training later on. Crap! (counting up in my head) Leah was going to be 29 months on September 10th. So I decided to start right then.
I woke Leah up that morning and exclaimed to her, "It's naked day!" We played together ALL day long! I didn't leave her side. (Yeah.. not the norm AT ALL.) She would start jumping up and down when she needed to go and say, "Potty!" urgently and then I would sit her on the potty and she would go. It was as easy as that! We had dinner with some friends that evening and were going out, so the diaper went back on.
The second day, I woke her up the same way and she was admittedly less excited about naked day, but I wasn't really giving her a choice. We played inside, we played outside (within the confines of the walls of our villa)... she was doing great!
BUT, I was there at her side every single moment. By the third day, we were both itching to get out of the villa, so I put a dress on her and introduced panties. She picked out some Elmo ones and I just emphasized with her that panties are not a diaper and that she would still need to use the potty. The next day there were several accidents. All of the floors in our villa are hard-surfaced, so it wasn't really a big deal. I kept on enforcing it and reminding her that she had panties on.
Everything was going pretty well and then I landed my surprise job at Friends Nursery. She had only been potty training for 6 days when we both starting going to school for four hours a day. She ended up back in diapers during school and in panties while at home. We did that for about 2 weeks and then had 3 days off of work/school for Eid, a holiday is Islam. I took the opportunity to only do panties the whole time and there were several accidents, but she finally REALLY started to get it. Each accident in her panties reinforced the idea that she needed to start using the potty.
When we started back at school on Sunday this week, I decided that she was ready and sent her to school in panties. The first day, she had an accident, but she has done great days 2-4. She doesn't like to go potty at school and just holds it until we get home... which isn't ideal, but I guess it's working for now.
A couple nights ago, Leah woke me up at midnight and asked to go potty. After going potty, she asked if she could wear panties for the rest of the night and I obliged. When we woke up the next morning, I made the quick decision to convert her crib to a toddler bed. She had a blast jumping in her "new" bed and filling it with toys and stuffed animals.
We went to school that day and when we came back home is was nap time. I was a little nervous that she wouldn't nap, but I just explained to her that she had to stay in her bed during nap time and then I closed the door and posted myself nearby to catch any shenanigans. This is what I found when I snuck in to check on her 30 minutes later.
When she woke up from nap, she wouldn't get out of the bed until I was in there. Last night, I put her to bed as I usually did with the only difference that I told her that she needed to stay in her bed. I heard no complaints and I went to bed as usual. Doug and I stayed up a while longer, but no noises came from her room, so we just went to bed. I woke up around midnight after having the realization that she could work all of the doors in the house and there was nothing keeping her from just waking up and leaving in the middle of the night. She's only every left the villa once without my permission and she was only about 2 feet away, but I still felt a moment of panic.
I was awake in an instant and went to her room to check on her. I quietly and slowly opened the door only to discover her in EXACTLY the same position that I had placed her in to go to bed that night. She was sleeping happily and peacefully.
My little girl is growing up so fast! I took pictures of my class to use for attendance and labeling and such. Here is Leah's... I love her so!





No comments:
Post a Comment