
Now I understand why people are afraid to go to the dentist!
Today, I finally went to the dentist for the first time in like 4 years. I know, that's TERRIBLE! I've actually had great dental insurance for just about 2 years, so I really have no excuse for not going except that I was just busy and didn't really want to or know how to do all of the research involved in choosing a dentist.
I hurried out of school today to make my appointment at the dentist. I got lost and ended up being pretty late. Once I got there, I needed to fill in all of this new patient paperwork where they had me fill in the same information in about 4 different places on the same form.
Sitting there in the dentist chair, I realized how uncomfortable a feeling it is to have someone look in and put their fingers into your mouth. It sounds sick, just typing it. This appointment was just the one where they just examine your teeth. He started by poking around and speaking to his assistant in a language that I could not understand. They ended up taking like 18 X-Rays of my mouth! After that he poked at my gums to test something, but I'm sure he was just trying to torture me. It felt like he was continually poking my gum with needles.
In the end, he told me that I'm going to need two crowns because some cavities I got filled as a kid are deteriorating and some preventative stuff for two teeth that are getting close to cavities. They gave me a "Treatment Plan Estimate." The total price tag could be anywhere from $1,000 t0 $3,000 according to this little paper, but I'll get a better estimate by tomorrow from the dental insurance company.
So how am I cursed with these terrible teeth? Neither of my parents have ever needed caps or really any serious work done on their teeth... Well, when I was an infant, I was given tetracycline that basically messed up the enamel on my teeth. Now, I'm paying the big bucks for it 25 years later.
*On a more positive note, my dad somehow got my phone to work, so I am able to communicate with the outside world once again! I already bought a new phone for cheap online, so hopefully that one will be more reliable.
No comments:
Post a Comment