When I introduce myself to a new person depending on the situation, I will use one of the three above names. It's really been bothering me for quite some time that I can't actually decide what I like to go by.
I've met a lot of people that are very opinionated on this topic. I call my sister Rebekah, Bekah, but NEVER Becky. Doug's little sister, who was known as Katie her first 16 years has now decided that she likes to be called Kate. She will actually correct you if you call her Katie. ...even if you are seeing her for the first time in months and complimenting her on how beautiful and grown up she looks...
My personality is such that I will avoid conflict at all costs and I can be quite indecisive at times. For those of you that know about the color code personality test, I am white white WHITE, a peacemaker. I would never correct someone who called me by an "incorrect name" and I'm not decisive enough to pick one.
This is how I look at my names...
Jennifer - Formal Name
Jen - Informal Name
Jenny - Family Name
I think my blogging name will now be... Jen, Jenny, Jennifer
Now everyone can just decide for themselves what they want to call me. Should I create a poll? ;)

Funny, I think I called you Jen the other day, and then thought, I hope that's not offensive or too casual to say at school. I'm glad you don't feel strongly, and that I didn't offend you:). I don't feel strongly about those things either. My sisters call me Jo, my Dad calls me Jo Jo. Sister in laws call me Jodes. I'll answer to just about anything.
ReplyDeleteI too score as a White personality in the Color Code. :)
ReplyDeleteI like your new name and I get your crisis. I HATE naming things. I used to turn titleless English papers in at school, cause I had put off thinking of a title till I forgot I needed one ha ha.