Sunday, August 14, 2011

Bacon-Wrapped Little Loaves

Disclaimer: I didn't take pictures, but this is basically what it looks like.
So, I'm not sure if this recipe is something that others had growing up, but my family had it tons.  Yesterday, I was trying to come up with something new for dinner that I had the ingredients for and I ended up making Bacon-Wrapped Little Loaves.  Basically it is little meatloaves wrapped in bacon... and since bacon basically makes everything better, they were VERY tasty.

I cut the recipe in half for just the two of us and made a few simple substitutions because I didn't have some exact ingredients.  I crossed those out and put what I used instead. (If you make it, you can use whatever is most convenient.  I personally didn't notice a change in taste.)

Bacon-Wrapped Little Loaves Recipe
2 lbs. ground beef
1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
2 eggs
1 c. dry bread crumbs toasted bread (crumbled)
3 Tbsp dehydrated minced onions
1 tsp instant beef bouillon 1 package onion soup mix
1/3 c. lemon juice
1/4 c. water
8 slices bacon
  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.  
  2. Mix beef, cheese, eggs, bread crumbs, onions, lemon juice, water, and bouillon.  (onion soup mix)
  3. Shape mixture into 8 little loaves.
  4. Cut bacon strips in half
  5. Place bacon strips crisscrossed on each loaf, tucking ends under loaf
  6. Place loaves on a rack (or broiler pan) in shallow baking pan.
  7. Bake uncovered for 50 minutes

Makes 8 servings

I didn't have a rack OR a broiler pan, so I just put them on one of my deeper cookie sheets and lined it with aluminum foil.  I turned the edges of the foil up so it created a sort of bowl to keep the juices from going everywhere.  (Clean up was a BREEZE!)

I like this better than just plain old meatloaf because ONE - the serving size is already determined by the little loaves, so dishing up is a breeze. TWO - each little loaf is cooked perfectly and gets a little crispy, and THREE - the bacon (duh!)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment