In the car we talked about cultural differences between Ghana and the United States. Apparently giving something similar the thumbs up sign is pretty crude and basically means, "Your mother is a prostitute." Also, waving to someone the way we do in the US means that you want someone to come over to you. When you go anywhere, you basically need to greet everyone or you will seem rude. I found this pretty cool site today called Cultural Crossing. It's pretty cool because it tells you how you should act in different countries. It's interesting to read and probably really helpful if you're an international traveler.
| Liza and Johnny heading up to ticketing at Dulles Airport. |
We took her to the airport this morning to catch a flight there. She will be in the country of Ghana going to a University there for the next five months and will be returning all "culturated" in December. They told her that she would be living in a hostel with minimal furniture and that's basically all she knows about where she is living. That would totally freak me out. I'm totally imagining a huge room full of squeaky bunk beds, no air conditioning, and scary bathroom facilities. For her sake, I'm hoping it's actually better than that.
| Couldn't get the darn machine to scan her passport, so we had to go to the desk. |
And what do you think said sister is majoring in that she is going all the way to Ghana to study???
...International Relations? Nope.
...a Foreign Language? Nope.
...International Business? Nope.
| Mom and Liza laughing at Johnny before she went to security. |
Give up? Yeah, well you wouldn't have guessed it anyway. She's studying ...theater! Yep, that's it. My sister is going to learn about theater . . in . . Ghana. I'm just being mean about it because I'm jealous.
I told her as I hugged her goodbye that my goal was to be knocked up by the time she was home. She laughed and told me her goal was NOT to be knocked up.
Have fun Liza! Don't catch malaria!
Jenny, you crack me up! Wow! Ghana? That is nuts. I am too pampered to do that! I would pick Spain, or Italy. Because I too am a woose!
ReplyDelete