I realize that by writing this on my blog, I may be offending some family members, but I'm kind of tired of hiding my feelings and then having people hurt me unintentionally. Some of my family can be really insensitive (without meaning it) about the whole not getting pregnant thing. I REALLY do not want people walking on egg shells around me, but I think there does need to be a teeny tiny bit of sensitivity.
For those of you that may have been following my blog for a while you may remember this post. I was snowed in the house with nothing to do except sort through all of the baby clothes that my oldest sister had given me. It doesn't say so in the post and I haven't talked about it before, but I was actually pregnant (and pretty sure of it) at the time while I was going through everything. I went through all of the clothes separating them by size and carefully folding them into Tupperware containers. I envisioned the little life growing inside of me (if it was a girl of course) getting to wear a lot of the cute outfits my sister had passed down to me. I was really excited.
Unfortunately things did not turn out the way I had hoped and my pregnancy ended in a miscarriage.
I announced it a while ago when I started blogging again, but my sister
Kierstan, who lives in Utah is pregnant. She is due to have her first baby, a little
girl named Eva, any day now. When my sister found out that she was pregnant, I was VERY happy for her. She had expressed some concern that she was nervous about talking about her pregnancy with me because of the situation I was in. I told her, that if the tables were turned, that I would want to be able to talk to my sister, so I INSISTED that she call me about EVERY little thing. She would call and update me on the latest and I'm glad she did. Honestly, it was a little hard, but I wouldn't have had it any other way.
During the time I was going through all of the scary surgery stuff, my sister who gave me the clothes was in town to visit. She was really awesome and drove me to all of the doctors appointments that I had prior to my surgery. My mom, during all of this, explained to me that they wanted to go through the baby clothes (that my oldest sister had GIVEN me) to send it to Kierstan. I was a little surprised at the request, but told them they could come any time they liked to pick it up. I never heard anything else from anyone about the baby clothes, so I figured that they had made other plans.
Today, I am picking up my mom to take her to the airport so she can be there with Kierstan when she has the baby. My mom called me early this morning and ... asked ... about ... the ... clothes. She wondered if I could sort through the clothes and just pick out the dresses that we had all worn as children so that little Eva could have something to wear on Sundays.
I hadn't said a single thing to her about how offended I was that they wanted me to sort through the clothes until today. I matter-of-factly told her that I was not going to dig through the clothes. I told her that I thought it was pretty insensitive that they asked me, the person who was having trouble getting pregnant, to sort through the baby clothes that were given to me, and pick out the "cute stuff" to send to my sister. She didn't really say much in response and then just said that she guessed she wouldn't have time to be able to get the clothes.
A big part of me feels really terrible and guilty that I'm not down in my basement digging through all of the little cute baby clothes to give them to my sister. It's the most practical solution and it makes sense. I WANT to do it. I just don't think I CAN.
At this point, I HOPE they come and take all the clothes away and I never see any of it again.
No Jenny. You should not. They should not have asked, as they were GIVEN to you. What I would do, is in a month or so, pick a few, a few, that YOU would like to share, and ship them. It was and is very insensitive for them to ask. People who do not understand what it is like to struggle just do not get it. I am not sure they ever will. One day, you will hold a sweet baby in your arms, and you will realize that this was all worth it. I HATE insensitivity. I do not want to hear people talk about how they wash their garments or underwear together or are pregnant. Until someone has struggled to bring children into this world, there just does not seem to be an understanding. When my sister Heather and my best friend Abby were pregnant at the same time, they would not really talk to me about their pregnancies. It made me mad, sad, and I knew they did not understand. But it still hurt. Hang in there Jenny. {{{Hugs}}}
ReplyDeleteI feel for you. I think it's smart to let people know like you've done. Those clothes are for your little baby.:)
ReplyDeleteIt's good that you can be honest about how you feel. I think that its just really hard for someone to know what is hurtful and what isn't if they haven't experienced it, so being forthright about it is the only answer. Every little thing is gonna be alright! XO
ReplyDelete