Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Pinterest and a Party!

It's true. I'm using. Pinterest.

I signed up for Pinterest about a year ago during my summer off. I was immediately overwhelmed by the cuteness and creativeness of all of the ideas. I am not creative. I am not original. I'm definitely not cute. I stink!

I never wanted to get on Pinterest again. I felt completely inadequate.

Fast forward about 11 months or so... It's 3 in the morning and I'm up feeding Leah. I'm glued to a rocking chair with no hope of getting up for the next 15-30 minutes. No one is updating their Facebook status and I've caught up with all of the blogs I read... What to do, what to do...

It started innocently enough with looking for ideas on how to decorate the STILL bare walls of Leah's nursery and then it turned into newborn photography tips, and then home improvement projects, and then cleaning tips, (VINEGAR works miracles!) and then, and then, and then...

It turns out that you don't need to be creative, or original, OR cute. Pinterest just helps you LOOK like you are! I've stopped looking at Pinterest as pressure or as a look-how-much-better-everyone-else-is and started to look at it for what it is... a way to cheat for people like myself.

It's all in your perspective. So now I can show you "my" creative, cute, original ideas... that I got off Pinterest.

While I was browsing for photography tips, I stumbled upon an idea to create a board book with pictures of the different family members... Leah's BFF, Brooke, was going to be having her one year birthday party and it was the PERFECT gift! Brooke loves to read and comes from a very close-knit family. I borrowed an external hard drive from my friend Caitlin (Brooke's mom) with tons of family pictures that I sorted through to find the right ones. Then, I used the website www.pintsizeproductions.com to create and print the book. It turned out just the way I wanted it to!


That was going to be it and then... Darn Pinterest! I stumbled upon these cute toddler purses and I decided that I needed a sewing project to get started with my new sewing machine. My problem was that I didn't really have any fabric, my mom's (rather large) stash is pretty outdated, and Leah doesn't do well on shopping trips. Then, I realized that I DID indeed have fabric. One of my baby shower presents was a bunch of different fat quarters for quilting. With the help of my mom, I was able to create my own pattern that used 2 fat quarters (outside + lining) and a skinny quarter (border for name and strap.) We also used some stuff (I forget what it's called) that I ironed onto the back of the fabric to stiffen it up, so the purse could keep its shape. My mom had some left over ribbon and she has a sewing machine that does embroidery, so I was able to put together what I think is a pretty cute little personalized purse! It's a Brookebag!


Brooke had an amazing birthday party! Leah at 5 1/2 weeks was able to hold her own with all of her one year old buddies. (...and by holding her own, I mean napping on my lap for most of the party and then waking up for the group picture!) I know she looks teeny in these pictures compared to the other littles, but she really is growing up so fast. I love my little sweet girl!


No comments:

Post a Comment