Thursday, May 23, 2013

30 Day Shred

So I was on babycenter (at around 3 in the morning) reading different posts from women in my birth club (moms of April 2013 babies) and several women in the group were talking about doing the "30 Day Shred." I googled it and saw lots of before and after shots. I read both the positive and negative reviews on Amazon and decided to go for it. I'm not necessarily doing this for weight loss, but for inches off.  My body has changed the way it distributes weight and I'm having difficulty fitting back into my pre-pregnancy clothes comfortably. I hate tight clothes! Leah is 6 weeks old and I've had doctor clearance to start working out (again?). I'm ready!


Why am I choosing this over the gazillion other exercise routines? Well, it's supposed to get you quick results and it only lasts 30 days. I like that it has an exact beginning and end dates and that the whole routine only takes 30 minutes. I can do it during Leah's morning nap and it gives me a little routine to my day. It's something that I can realistically stick to.

I decided to take some before shots and boy did they mess with my self esteem! My belly and butt are NOT looking good. I felt embarrassed when I looked back at the picture. I guess I had been feeling "thin" since I didn't have a huge pregnant belly anymore, but the pictures (especially the side view) were sobering. I'm not sharing the pictures on my blog unless I have some pretty awesome after results, but I guess I'll share my measurements.

Arms - 11 in
Waist - 33 in
Belly - 38 in
Butt - 43 in
Thighs - 24 in

Right now, I'm within 5 pounds of pre-baby and 15 pounds of where I guess I'd ideally like to be. I've never really been stuck on getting into a size 2 or anything. I'm very happy with my regular size 8-10 body. Also, I've never really been one for dieting. I like to eat and I'd rather work it off than starve myself or eat... healthy... ugh.  Maybe I will just need to change that and develop a taste for foods rather than Ramen and grilled cheese sandwiches... But I'm not giving that up just yet!

I started the workout yesterday and it was killer! I wanted to give up like 5 minutes in. I stuck it out and I did the second day today. I've realized that I could/should NEVER do any exercise in public or around people. My form is horrid and I am completely uncoordinated.  I'm trying hard to do the exercises exactly the way she is showing them. I don't want to get injured and have to quit before the end.

So, here goes nothing! I probably won't be done in exactly 30 days because my in-laws will be staying with us for around a week for Leah's blessing. I will have company in the house that I will NOT want to see me looking ridiculous while I exercise.

3 comments:

  1. This post cracks me up...mostly because I've worked out with you many times :) I'll never forget you almost passing out and having to sit down on the thread mill! I think you should share that story with everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny: i have this same video and it is great. Never made it to the 30 days since i found out i was pregnant after 2 weeks starting it. Her talking gets annoying, but the workout is great. Start walk/jogging again too. That got me back faster than anything. Things like jog a block, walk 2 blocks, repeat. The motion of your shoulders swaying back and forth engages your abs and helps with the pooch that seems to stick about after a baby. I also made it a goal to complete a half marathon after each kid. So izzy was 14 months when i completed the Uintah Basin Half. You may thing running doesn't sound fun when you have ta-ta's full of milk, just get a REALLY supportive sports bra that zips in the front. easy on easy off, no tugging over them. Under Armour makes a really nice one. You can do it and eating healthy doesn't mean you can't eat good food. Have one day a week where you satisfy your cravings. Mine would be on Sunday when I make sunday dinner. Still think you should post pictures, they are more motivating when others see your before and then even more motivating when they see the after. Happy Exercising!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you are so close to your pre-pregnancy weight already! Great job! I love Jillian workouts because I always feel like I worked my butt off afterwards. I hope you can stick with it because exercise definitely helps deal with crazy post-baby emotions and it makes you feel great! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete