1) June
2) July
3) August
The school year ended on Friday and work days for Loudoun County teachers ended on Tuesday, so with summer upon me, I was thinking about the whole "summer off" deal.
Right now, we are lucky with Doug's extremely long commute that he gets to work four 10 hour days instead of five 8 hour days. That got me started thinking... Using my mad math skills, I calculated that since there are 52 weeks in a year, then that means basically that Doug "has off" 52 days in a year, but he does more than make up for those days with the long hours that he works Monday through Thursday.
My scheduled work hours in my school Monday through Friday are 7:30-3:30. So I am scheduled to work 8 hours a day x 5 days = 40 hours/week. I don't actually work just those hours and even our laziest teachers (who have their infirm mothers stamp and seal their report cards for them) work more hours than that. I usually get to school at 6:30am and leave around 4:30pm (on a good day). Every weekend I spend additional time on top of that planning for the next week. So in reality, I really work five 10+ hour days each week plus some hours on weekends.
Continuing to use my mad math skills, I counted up the number of days that I have off of school for the summer to get 45. Teachers do get a spring break and a winter break so I went ahead and added 10 to that number to get a whopping 55 days off in a year.
If my calculations are correct, it looks like teachers put in JUST as much time as an employee that works a 40 hour week in the private sector.
TA DA! Now I can feel a little better about my summer off, right?
A parent just sent me this picture and I love it! :) The kids all came to
give me a hug after the water station during field day in an attempt to get me wet.
I don't know anyone that deserves 3 months off more than you! You go ahead and enjoy every second of it!!:) I love the mad math skills at work. I'll have to have Mason read this and see if he comes up with the same numbers.:)
ReplyDelete