Motherhood has really been wonderful so far. Yes, there are definitely the sleepless nights, but this little girl is incredible. Some nights when I finally get her to sleep, I just stop and watch her for a while (even though I am incredibly tired) and think about how amazing it is that I helped create this little girl.
The thing that I am missing now is some semblance of a schedule. I do realize that scheduling a newborn is probably along the same line as herding cats, but I have always done best with a schedule. Early last week, I was having a hard time feeling productive... and when I don't feel productive I can sink into a mini depression. (I don't think this was post pardem depression.) It happens sometimes during my summers off work. I know now that my new job is taking care of my little Leah, but I couldn't help wonder, "Is this my life now?"
Feed, Sleep, Change Diaper - repeat.
I know that newborns don't stay newborns forever and that I should just enjoy this snugly phase before it's gone. Don't worry, I am definitely getting in several hours a day of snuggle time! I just need to feel like I have something to SHOW for the time that has passed. I know I will not be able to accomplish nearly the amount of stuff I could pre-mommihood, but it'd be nice to accomplish more than pulling the wind up chain on my cuckoo clock from Germany each day.
I decided to calculate how the hours in my 24 hour day are spent.
1. Leah sleeps at this point for about 18 hours a day. - So she's awake 6 hours.
2. Let's say I get 8 hours of sleep (not consecutive, of course!)
3. I nurse Leah about 12 times a day for around 30 minutes each session - 6 hours
4. 6 + 8 + 6 = 20 hours of "busy" time.
5. 24 - 20 = 4 hours
Wow! Now THAT is a full time job! And WOW, I really have 4 WHOLE hours to myself. The possibilities are limitless! ;)
I sat down today at my computer (during a portion of my 4 hours) and tried to put together a schedule while Leah was napping. I'm not going to share it because it's probably pretty ridiculous and rigid at this point, but it's nice to know that EVENTUALLY we will get to some sort of schedule and I can be OK with my unscheduled, unproductive life right now.
I guess I can spend some of my 4 hours of "ME time" each day snuggling with Leah.
I'm posting from my iPad which only allows me to put the pictures at the end of the post, so here are some pictures of my little snuggler who's peaceful and doll-like while sleeping, but rather grumpy in the mornings. She loves her little play gym and even makes faces at the mirror. We also do some tummy time each day which wears her out! :)





Yes, that is your life and it will be for the next 3 months till either, she starts sleeping through the night and/or eats less often. Yes, you are a 24/7 milking machine, diaper changing machine, and no sleep machine. I found that if you want to feel productive, find someone from church or your neighborhood that could take one of those waking hours of Leah's and play with her so you can get something done or even sleep. You will feel so much better if you do. Have fun being a mom and remember you don't have to spend every waking moment with your baby because you have 18 more years to do it!
ReplyDeleteI highly recommend The Baby Whisperer. She has a great schedule for babies of all ages and how to get it started. It's not a rigid schedule but flexible - you read your baby's cues and follow them to know when to switch to the next activity. I definitely do better with a schedule, as well!
ReplyDeleteTry to enjoy it and go with the flow...she will gradually get better and better. I remember the point when my son slept from midnight to 6. He was six weeks old. After that it was every few weeks his sleep wschedule adjusted a little. Until at 4 months he was sleeping from 7 to 6, on his own. No sleep training.
ReplyDelete