Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Darwin's Adoption Story

My parents have a crazy next door neighbor lady that just feeds tons of feral cats in her garage. None of them have been "fixed" so all they do is reproduce like crazy. They live in terrible conditions and about 5 or so cats freeze every winter. It's pretty terrible.

In September last year, Doug and I were driving over to WV on a Saturday to hang out with the fam. Johnny announced to me on the phone that a brand new kitten from house next door was following him around and they had started feeding it cheese. It was really dirty and skinny and seemed to really like people. This was different because ALL of the cats there run at the sight of any human. Immediately upon seeing Darwin for the first time I knew that he would be my cat. My dad would not allow us to bring him inside, so I gave him his first bath in a small tupperware container with Johnson's baby shampoo.


I then snuck him inside to blow dry him off. By this time, I think my dad had given up and let us hold him inside for a little while. I kept on begging Doug to keep him and Doug told me no because he didn't want me to get attached to something that might die. My parents allowed the kids to keep him in the shed on a towel and give him milk in a little bowl. He had every opportunity to leave the shed, but stayed on the towel unless someone came nearby and then he would follow them. He loved people from the beginning.


Doug was leaving on a business trip on Wednesday of that week and caved when he thought how lonely I would be in the house without him. We went over to my parents house on Monday night and picked up Darwin. Doug came up with the name "Darwin" because he is a survivor, not because we are fans of the scientist or anything. I loved the name immediately and it stuck. (My dad has since given him the "Greek" name of Darwinius Maximus.)

Darwin lived the first couple of weeks in our oversized jacuzzi tub that we never use and used the litter box right away, no accidents. One reason I love cats... He survived his first encounter with Lucky our other cat. Now the two of them are pretty good buds. Darwin has fit in quite well with the family. We're just working on training him to turn off lights and how to NOT sleep on our heads at night.

Update:
Doug and I picked up Darwin from his surgery yesterday. We thought it would be very minor, but it turns out that he hadn't gone through puberty yet. He's 6 months old, so we figured this wouldn't be an issue. They basically had to do a spay + neuter which is a full surgery, not just a few little snips. The poor guy has slept basically every minute since he got home. He just seems miserable. Poor guy! He's sleeping in this comfy chair with Lucky for now. Hopefully he'll be feeling better once I get home. It was hard to leave this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment