Saturday, February 14, 2009

Lying to Children

I really HATE lying. ANY type of lie. On Friday, two parents of children in my classroom told me about lies they had told their children.

The first parent I was talking to told what she thought to be a "harmless lie." We had our Valentine's Day Party and she came in to chat with me. Her child had brought in cookies to share with everyone that were on a cookie sheet. The mom had told the child that they were "homemade" cookies. She whispered to me on the side, "I ACTUALLY picked them up at the grocery store and ONLY said they were homemade."

The second parent really surprised me. She is one that I've actually gotten to know quite well this school year. I consider her to be a good friend of mine and a very good person. I've known from the beginning of the school year that her student's father is in jail for a white collar crime, nothing violent. I always assumed that the child was aware of this. How could you not know that your father is in jail? Today she told me that the child just found out about a week ago. The family had been lying saying that the father was in COLLEGE, not jail. This has been going on for a couple YEARS. The child had no clue!

I'm sure it has shook this child's entire foundation and what he/she believes to be true. I've definitely noticed self esteem issues in the classroom lately when there were previously none. Fourth graders are not babies! I have seen many fourth graders handle situations well that are even difficult for adults.

I apologize for the rant. I will now get off of my pedestal.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That second lie is quite a big deal. Plus, he's in the fourth grade--he should have been told the truth a while ago. What a tough situation. Isn't it interesting that you can tell something's going on in a child's life just from a slight behavior change?

    ReplyDelete