Monday, April 6, 2009

Small Print

Today was the official start of my Spring Break. The first thing on my Spring Break Agenda was our drywall inspection. When we bought the house back in October of 2007, we were told about all of the "features" of building a Ryan Home. The great warranty on the house was one huge sell point for us in particular.

The house has now been completed for a year, so we scheduled our drywall inspection. We were told upon purchase that they would fix the nail pops and then sand and paint those areas. Early this morning, the outside contractor comes to the house and the first thing he shows me is a bright orange form saying that we are ONLY getting the nail pops fixed and that they will NOT being painting or sanding. Umm no, we were told otherwise.

So he gave me a number to call and started working. I talked to several Ryan people and it turns out that the cut off for them including sanding and painting was October 2007. Well we bought in October of 2007 so this shouldn't be an issue, right? Apparently we bought 26 days too late and the salesperson must have not known about the new policy... They asked for the name of our salesperson. It turns out that just about every person involved in the sale of our home has been "let go." Ryan has had to lay off 53% of its employees.

Yeah I know that the economy sucks. I'm looking at possibly having to sell this house right now because of location concerns. I know it is a hard time to try to sell a house, but it's not okay to cut corners and do a half job. The contractor finished up everything that he was paid to do and apologized for the situation. He gave us his card and said that if we wanted the job completed it would be $200. So this is what my house looks like now...






Big white spots on your walls are a sell point, right?

3 comments:

  1. The white spots are where they "fixed" the nail pops. I blogged about nail pops earlier in March... this link should explain it better.

    http://sandbetweenourtoes.blogspot.com/2009/03/nail-pops-and-blue-tape.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say that's a big sell point. Just advertise that all the walls are "two-toned" haha.

    I am sorry about that though. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete