Monday, April 20, 2009

We Planted a Garden!

We were at my parents house on Saturday just hanging out and getting our weekly dose of Lost, Fringe, The Office, and House... in that order. We don't have cable, satellite, or even bunny ears at our place so we go over to my folks place to watch our favorite shows on weekends.

It was a BEAUTIFUL day, so we went outside to go on a walk. The kids were all doing their outdoor chores and one of Shelly's chores was to weed the garden plot in the backyard. My family hasn't actually had a garden in that plot for probably 12+ years, but they're hopeful every year. They just never get around to it. I decided on a whim that Doug and I would plant something, so we ran over to Home Depot real quick and picked up some seeds and starter plants. In our garden this year, we will (hopefully) have pumpkins, lettuce, carrots, corn, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, summer squash, and cantaloupe. I'm really excited about the cantaloupe! My family never had it in their garden and for some reason I had this idea in the back of my head that it was a fruit that was grown in more exotic locations. We're still looking for strawberry starters, (A MUST!) but they didn't have any that we could find at Home Depot.

Both mine and Doug's families had gardens when we were growing up, but my family stopped when I was 10 or so. I'm not exactly sure why, but I'm guessing they just got too busy with so many kids and we hated to eat vegetables anyway so it seemed like a lost cause...

I was quite impressed with Doug's knowledge of gardening. I had always had in my mind that it would be so hard to start a garden, but it really wasn't that difficult. Chris, Shelly, and Johnny (my three younger siblings still at home) just sat and watched us in amazement. Johnny, the little entrepreneur, decided that when the garden starts to grow we could sell the vegetables for money! :)

I know that the hard part (weeding and watering) is still ahead of us, but I'm just glad we actually got something started. Starting tends to be the major setback with my family. My dad made the announcement after we had put in all of the plants. "Now we are REAL Mormons again! We have a garden!"

Here are some photos of our planting adventure:










Hopefully the pictures in a few months will have slightly more green in them because our plants will be growing!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I SO wish we could have a garden, but with a townhouse, it's kind of impossible. I'm thinking about doing an herb pot and a tomato pot on my porch, but we'll see how it goes. Way to be ambitious!

    ReplyDelete