This time around, I'm going to do it differently. First and foremost, I'm going to try to do what I didn't do before. LISTEN TO MY BODY. I pushed myself way too hard last time and ended up getting injured by hurting my knee very early on. I know the whole cyst/surgery mess was what forced me to stop running, but I probably would've had to take a break anyway with how much I was hurting. The last two days that I've gone running, I've started with a warm up where I walk for about five minutes and then do some stretches. It's worked well. I have a teeny tiny bit of soreness that I can tell is related to the surgery, but I'm really fine besides that. I haven't gotten new running shoes yet, but I'm waiting to see if I can keep this up AFTER the school year starts before I make the investment.
If I can continue some sort of running routine at least a week into school, then I will reward myself with a pair of shiny new running shoes. I saw the Potomac River Running store near the new Cobb theater the other week, so I'll probably go there to get an evaluation done. Hopefully its not ridiculously pricey because I'm feeling broke with all of the costs of finishing the basement. (I'll be posting some pictures and blogging about the basement progress soon, but you can check out the album on Facebook for right now.)
I stuck with my same neighborhood routine from last time of two miles and I've been feeling GREAT afterward. I seriously get depressed in the summertime when I don't have anything to do. Running gives me this burst of energy throughout the day and I feel SO much better! The funny thing about starting up again is that my legs totally itch while I'm running, but I remember that from last time and I think it will go away soon.
![]() |
| Here's a picture of the sunrise this morning! |
This morning when I went out it surprised me how dark it was. It was seriously scary and depressing at the same time! Scary, because it feels like something is going to jump out at you with every tree and bush you run by. Depressing, because I know this means that the days are getting shorter and summer is almost over.
That leads me into a question that I've had in the back of my mind... How do you continue your running routine in the winter? We have a treadmill that my parents gave us in the basement that works well, but I seriously hate running on it. Is that the only solution or are there like hardcore ice runners out there. :)

Yeah for running again!! I agree about getting up in the dark. I turned into an early morning exerciser out of necessity, but am not a morning person by nature. It's not as big of a deal to be up at 5:00am when the sun comes up shortly thereafter, but in the winter, when it's pitch black until about 7:00am, it's a whole other story. I sometimes just run loops around well lit and more populated areas along the street or around our neighborhood ponds that are well lit.
ReplyDeleteI hate the treadmill too, but will also resort to that if I have to. The nice thing about the treadmill is you can keep track of your mileage and speed and sometimes it encourages me to push myself as I want to see the numbers increase. Good luck with your renewed efforts. I hope you earn your shoes!!:)
Good for you! Getting up that early is hardcore! You make me want to start running again! Kinda...
ReplyDeleteRunning is amazing! It sucks to have to get up early, and a lot of times it is hard to actually get out the door, but it is always worth it once I do it. I usually feel better, more energy, and is definitely helps with depression and emotional type stuff. I am glad you are out running again. It inspires me to get back out again, I took 1 day off and it has turned into 2 weeks! Poor Pepper, me running is her only outlet to the outside world!
ReplyDelete