Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Mister & Mrs. Tang

...is what Doug and I go by in the WAMAS group, a group for saltwater aquarium enthusiasts in the DC Area.

Doug started up a saltwater aquarium about a year ago. Saltwater aquariums take a lot of work and unfortunately Doug has not been able to do a lot of the upkeep because he is not living at home right now. For the last few months, I have been taking care of the tank and am proud to say that I haven't killed anything... that PBJ coral was on it's way out already.

Anyways, the tank is pretty dang awesome and I realized that I haven't actually put any pictures of it on my blog. So, here are some pictures of our tank. It's not just Doug's anymore. I now feel a little bit more ownership now that I'm the one taking care of it.

I hadn't looked through the pictures that we took all the way from the beginning. It's pretty crazy how far our tank has come!

This is the tank when we first got it and put in live rock.


A couple months later with our first corals.


This is basically what the tank looks like today.


This is Mele Mele, our yellow tang. He is Doug's inspiration for starting a saltwater tank.


This is one of our two tiger-banded sea stars. They only come out at night, but they're pretty cool.


This is Manie, the Mandarin. It's hard to take a picture of him because he flutters 
around like a hummingbird. This is one of the hardest fish to keep and we haven't killed it yet!


This is a picture of one of our two frogspawn corals.

2 comments:

  1. Remember the goldfish/fish you guys used to have and how many times we would find them dead (and sometimes kind of stinky!?) Makes me chuckle to remember those days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I've definitely changed my ways as far as keeping a tank. That thing was horrendous. I remember that the fish would die in it and I wouldn't take it out and the skeleton would just stay there. Sometimes you couldn't even see inside because the algae was so thick.

    A saltwater tank takes a lot more work. The corals are very picky about the temperature, the lighting, and the salinity of the water which all needs to be carefully regulated. Our fish eat better than I do! They have chopped up shrimp and seaweed every day. The hard work pays off though. It's really amazing to just sit there and watch it.

    ReplyDelete