Doug came home HOME this weekend. He got home a little earlier than me and mowed the lawn. YAY! I have been mowing the lawn since May, so it was nice to get a little break. I was walking through the yard later putting back the rain gutters when I saw something moving in the grass. I got a little closer and saw that it was a turtle! We never found turtles at my house growing up (even though we did have a pet turtle named Turd for a while from one of my dad's fishing trips... but that's another story).
Anyways, I ran and got Doug and he picked it up and said it smelled bad. I put it in some water and tried to feed it grass and mushrooms and all kinds of other things that I'm sure turtles don't actually eat, but I wanted to see it do something. I got tired of it after about 5 minutes, took a few pictures of it, and then set it loose.
He was a nice turtle. I named him Mr. Turtle. He was very small. Is anyone out there a turtle expert that can identify this one? My husband thought that he might be a snapping turtle???
Judging from his eyes and the shape of his shell, he looks like a snapping turtle to me :
ReplyDeletehttp://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hiltonpond.org/images/TurtleSnappingHatchling02.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hiltonpond.org/Thisweek041001.html&usg=__l-ESrnRB7W_9DGQASv76IPF9hls=&h=309&w=500&sz=35&hl=en&start=15&um=1&tbnid=TnWDgE5mSsDIUM:&tbnh=80&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsnapping%2Bturtle%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1C1GGLS_enUS332US332%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1
if that link doesnt work try this one:
http://www.hiltonpond.org/images/TurtleSnappingHatchling02.jpg