Starting last week on Tuesday, I went over each morning and just started putting things into boxes. I didn't ask anyone, I didn't tell them I was doing it, I just did it. My favorite was when I went into Shelly's room and completely emptied her whole dresser into a box in front of her eyes and then just walked out with it. Eventually, Mom and Shelly started helping as well and we got a lot done. "Operation Move Family" was mostly a success with about 5-6 VERY full van loads of stuff going to the new house. This included most of the kitchen, the contents of the china cupboard, the board games and puzzles, Shelly's room, and most of mom's clothes. (Pictures of the closet, which is already full and the size of a small bedroom, will follow.)
Tuesday night this week, I was at Mom's and Dad's "old house" to drop off some car keys that accidentally made it into my purse during moving stuff. The contractor that is going to be excavating the front yard for the new addition stopped by to drop off one of those CAT machines in the front yard. We had to move some cars and the contractor exclaimed, "I must be here for the family reunion!" We just laughed and told him that the house is always this way.
We were all sitting/standing on the front porch (well, what is left of the front porch) and just like that heard Dad announce, "We are moving into the new house by this Saturday!"
So now THEY HAVE AN OFFICIAL MOVING DATE - Saturday, August 7th.
Wednesday afternoon, I stopped by to get some stuff for Activity Day Girls and pulled up to this. Good thing no one is living at our neighbor's house because that means we can park in their driveway!
They even removed the stoop to the front door! This is a picture of me at maybe 6 years old standing on the front stoop (that actually is the same house behind me). I can't believe it's gone. A part of me (the completely irrational, nostalgic part) wants to take that concrete slab home. :(
This is a picture standing at the front door and looking down. I think that's about a 10 foot drop!
We were all standing at the door watching the contractor dig the hole when Johnny exclaims, "It's just like a video game guys!" :) We laughed at him and as he was walking away he said, "At least I don't have to mow the front lawn anymore!" Johnny's starting to become funny and a little less obnoxious in his old age.
Ross, Liza boyfriend, is in town now. He helped Liza get her drivers license. (Third time's the charm, Liza! ) She's very proud of it...
He's also getting extra boyfriend points by helping to fix the Elantra (FREE car from mom and dad) so Liza can take it to college with her. Last week, the check engine light on the turned on just as I was driving back from helping my mom get the inspection on it. So he's doing some transmission/spark plugs stuff. I'm pretty sure he has some background in airplane mechanics.


I love your blog. It makes me laugh. You have to put pictures of the new house up. Since I probably won't see it for a while. Looking at all these pictures makes me realize I haven't been home in forever. I haven't even met David yet and he's so big now. Wow.
ReplyDelete