I decided on my way driving over that I wanted to surprise my mom with lunch because she seemed kind of down and a little overwhelmed after her first day of school. (I've had experience with this.) I had originally planned to work on my classroom a little more, but I realized once school starts I won't be able to do things like this.
Chris, my younger brother (I can't say "little" anymore) was at the old house packing up his room into storage containers because he'll be away for the next 2 years on his mission. He helped me out by putting the mini fridge in my car (hopefully I can get it out). We had some downtime before lunch time, so we hung out and talked. He packed boxes while I cleaned out the refrigerator. (The big one in the kitchen that was empty of food, but full of crumbs and spills.) We still had a while before we were going to pick up lunch, so I took out some old boxes with pictures.
I found all of these treasures! I LOVE LOVE LOVE pictures!
This picture of my parents was taken on my birthday... just 9 years before I was born.
This is a picture of my parents at what looks like an engagement party, although it was referred to as a candle lighting party or something like that. They look so skinny!
These are two of my parents' engagement photos. Nice pants dad!
I remember looking at this picture when I was a kid. My dad painted the ceiling in an attic of a house like this for my mom when they were dating.
Kate in a Halloween costume and Heather in a pageant gown.
Finally this is a picture of the "old" house (same as pictured above) about 2 additions ago.
This is a picture of my sister, Bekah, and I that was put on the front of a Girl Scout Pamphlet. I didn't know that it existed, but now that I think about it I do remember some sort of photo session at this weird Girl Scout store.
While we were talking, I decided that I wanted to bring lunch to both Shelly and Johnny as well as to my mom. We both jumped in the car and headed over to Subway to get lunch. Somewhere in my mind I pictured walking up to the offices of the schools saying, "I'm bringing lunch to my brother/sister." and that they would just send me to their room or to the cafeteria to hand it over to them.
Johnny's school buzzed him down to the office and he thought he was in trouble. Shelly's school is run like a prison and they would not even let me get within 10 feet of the cafeteria with "outside food." This teacher hallway monitor reamed me out for even trying to go to the cafeteria. I was expecting something like, "Oh, that's sweet that you're bringing your sister lunch! Walk right in!"
What I got was:
Mean Teacher - "MISS, Where are you headed?!"
Me - "Um, to drop off lunch for my little sister in the cafeteria. I already checked in with the office."
MT - "WHY?"
Me - "I thought it would be a nice surprise for her first week back to school."
MT - "NO OUTSIDE FOOD! You need to stand in the office and WAIT for her to come out."
Me - "Well, they buzzed her 10 minutes ago and I don't think she can hear in there."
MT - "Well, YOU CAN'T go in the cafeteria! So WAIT in the OFFICE!"
Another teacher that happened to be in the office and saw my obvious frustration was nice enough to try to locate her in the cafeteria just in enough time for the ending lunch bell to ring. I understand trying to be safe and secure, but that teacher was just rude. We stood there and watched her yell at students the whole lunch block while we, "waited in the office."
We were actually able to get visitor passes at the elementary school where my mom works and ate with her in her classroom. Her room is really coming together. We also got to meet her class as they were leaving the cafeteria. It kind of got me excited about starting school again this year.
You really should have asked that mean lady to pose for a picture. I'd love to see a shot of her!:) What a crazy!! Those are the kind of people that shouldn't be allowed to work in schools.
ReplyDeleteLove the pictures of your parents--awesome! Your Mom looked so much like you do now. Beautiful.