Saturday, August 7, 2010

Really REALLY Old Books

We've been going through all kinds of stuff in the house while moving and came across these...


These are some really old books that my dad picked up in Germany while serving his church mission there in the 70's.  He has had about 20 or so of them on the tallest shelf of our library ever since I can remember.  He told me the story of them while I there this past week.
There was this older lady that Dad and his missionary companion were either visiting with or staying with (I can't remember).  Apparently in Germany once you're past a certain age your children can take over your estate.  She was going to be getting to that age soon and I guess there were some issues with her children being rotten or something.  She knew that they were going to sell her house from under her and she didn't want them to get these books.  They were from her late husbands' prized collection.  She told my dad and his missionary companion that they could take whatever they wanted.  So, my dad, with the little money he had, fit a bunch of these small books into a box and shipped them to his mother in Montana.  They were waiting for him at home when he returned.
Coolness Factor... These books are over 200 years old!  They're also in super awesome condition. 

1 comment: