Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A Stronger, More Independent Woman

So, Doug has been gone now for 11 days.  When someone asks me how I am doing, I usually say something like, "I am becoming a stronger, more independent woman." and fake a really nice smile.

Well yesterday, I decided that as a "strong, independent woman," I should go ahead and fill up my own tires.  (I've been talking about doing this for months, but I was hoping that Doug would do it for me when we stopped to get gas, but it didn't happen before his trip.)

So anyway, I was driving by the Sheetz where they have a free tire pressure thingamajig and I decided that I was going to do it.  ALL ON MY OWN.  My hesitation was always that I didn't know how much to fill up my tires.  One time when I was expressing this concern to Doug, he told me that I could probably read the number that is listed on the tire. (Ahem... not such good advice.)

So, I get to the gas station and read my tire. (Max 44 psi)  Okay?  So, I decided that I didn't want to fill it to the MAX and only set the machine to fill it to 42 psi.

So apparently, that's WAY too high and Doug practically flipped when I told him how much I inflated them because now I have an increased danger of having a blowout. (Great!)  If you're wondering how full you should inflate YOUR tires, it's usually about 32-35 psi.  You can check your car's owner's manual or there's usually a sticker on the inside of the driver's door.

OOPS!  Well, now I know!  I just need to go BACK to the gas station and deflate my tires...

Good thing I'm becoming a stronger, more independent woman.

2 comments:

  1. No, you just need to get a tire pressure gage, use the side that has a point thing and push it against the inflator thing in the middle till you hear air coming out. Oh Jenny, you are so funny. It is ok if it was at 42, but Doug is right it marginally increases your risk of a blow out if your tires are older. Have your home teacher come over and fix it so you dont have to go back to the gas station.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's totally something I would do. Right after we moved into this house, Craig traveled a lot. I was so proud of myself (still am) that I drilled holes in the side of the cabinet to hang up a rack for the hand towels in the kitchen all by myself. I had no idea how much air pressure goes in tires. Thanks for the heads up!:)

    ReplyDelete