Saturday, March 10, 2012

Three Months

I talked with my doctor yesterday to try to figure out what is next. She started our conversation saying that she had good news and bad news. Basically the "good news" is that she wants to just go for it. The plan is to go on with what we were going to do before we knew that the Lupron wasn't working. Try Clomid and just hope I can get pregnant.

There are risks (of course!). My body reacted very badly to the Clomid before. It very possible I could end up in the hospital again getting surgery. (in the middle of the school year??) This time though, they would do an Oophorectomy (oh-oaf-uh-REK-tuh-me) which is the removal of an ovary (my right one). The ovaries "take turns" randomly and the best case scenario would be that it is my left ovary's turn when I start on the Clomid. If it is the right ovary's turn, things might not go so well. (We can't choose which ovary's "turn" it is.)

...uh that's the good news??

So then the bad news?

After seeing the not-so-fantastic results of my ultrasound, my doctor looked to some colleagues for advice. She shared my history with a fertility specialist, Dr. Khan, that she had worked closely with in the past. (In 2012, Dr. Khan was named in the Washingtonian's "Top Doctors" list for Infertility.) The consensus between doctors is, I need to get pregnant as soon as possible. Both doctors agree that the Clomid is my best chance at a "natural" pregnancy.

Right now, my left ovary is looking great and in time if the disease has time to spread... It might not. My endometriosis has shown itself to be very resistant to any form of treatment. I asked my doctor if there was something more powerful than the Lupron, but apparently Lupron is the strongest stuff they use.

We have THREE cycles of Clomid and THREE months to get pregnant starting in April. If it doesn't happen, Doug and I will be referred to a fertility specialist. She even said that we would start the prescreening fertility stuff after month two because we have no time to waste. Then she said the three letters that I DID NOT want to hear.

IVF

That's the next NEXT step. A test tube baby? That means $$$$$. Literally that many dollar signs. I've looked at the costs associated with IVF and you can't get it for any less than $10,000 in the US and those are just the starting costs. Don't even get me started on all of the ethical issues involved.

Icing on the cake? I got stuck in Friday traffic and didn't make it home in time to talk to Doug.

Okay body, you've got THREE months. You CAN do this.

6 comments:

  1. Here is your pep talk, which you may or may not want to hear. First and foremost, Heavenly Father freaking loves you. it's true. And while he loves you more than you will ever love any of your children on this earth (its true, sorry, how can you trump a perfect parent?) he has a marvelous plan for you. And sometimes the timing of the plan and the pain and sorrow just seems to make the plan suck. But it truly is a marvelous plan. And one of the parts of HF's plan is marriage in the right place and than children. Now I do not know how or when that will happen, but let me tell you, I have seen babies born via clomid, via IUI, via IVF, and than the less technical way *wink, wink*, and via adoption, and let me tell you, that it does not matter how they come, it matters that they come. All newborns are pretty sweet and snuggly, no matter the road it took in getting them here. So keep on having the fun with practicing for a baby, and no matter what, it will happen. Hang in there Jenny. Can you believe it has been nearly 9 years since we have spoken on the phone? Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny. So can you explain to me the ethical issues with IVF. I might be a little confused on that subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally worry about the "left over" fertilized eggs that get frozen in long term storage. There are many IVF patients that have fertilized eggs in storage and pay hefty yearly fees. If something happens to you or if you decide not to use the rest of your stored embryos for one reason or another, you have to donate your child or dispose of it. It is an EXTREMELY expensive procedure to extract the eggs and fertilize them. Freezing the eggs, makes it so that you have a back up in case the pregnancy doesn't take. I guess it all depends on when you personally believe life begins.

    I'm not judging those that have used it at all, I just have personal conflicting feelings on it. I do have a sincere desire to have my own biological children and if this is my only path... Honestly, I just don't want to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, gotcha. Now I understand! Thanks, I am just not too familiar with IVF in those regards, I just know the process. I thought they just fertilized the eggs that they were going to implant and then kept the unfertilized frozen incase the ones they put in you didn't take. That makes sense. Good luck Jenny. We are praying for you. Tell that Doug to get a new job where he does not have to be away from you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always in my prayers! But especially through the next few months. Not sure how you got signed up for so many trials when you are such an awesome person, but lets hope it pays off soon, and that the reward will be all the sweeter because of the wait! You're amazing! Thanks so much for all you do and always going above and beyond.

    ReplyDelete