Monday, March 2, 2009

Apartment Hunting

This weekend, Doug and I went to go check out a prospective apartment for him to stay at during his training. He had posted a want ad on craigslist saying that he was looking for temporary housing for the next 5 months. Over 100 people responded offering places in the area. (One of which was from a Dawn. When he responded to her, he accidentally typed her name as Damn. OOPS! He didn't get that apartment...)

We picked the one that looked the nicest and visited it first. The lady renting the apartment wanted to meet both Doug and I. She actually didn't post the apartment, she was just looking for people that she might want to have stay there. She asked for a picture, so Doug sent her one of our wedding photos.

It's a 2 bedroom 1 bath furnished apartment that he would have completely to himself above a detached garage for $500 a month. We've never paid less than $800 for 1 bedroom apartments in the area, so this is a SUPER deal. So, being in Annapolis, we were a little worried about the neighborhood that he would be living in. Well, this apartment is actually detached from a 1.9 million dollar home! They already have 2 garages on the other side of the house, so they barely even use the one he'll be staying above. Just about everyone in the neighborhood owns a boat and has private docks. It's less than a mile away from private beaches that he will have access to all summer.

When we arrived at the house, we hadn't even had the chance to get out of the car when she was on the front porch excitedly greeting us in an apron with a White House Seal. She is super nice and animated. She chatted with is for a little while and introduced us to her husband. Her husband has worked with the last 3 Republican presidents in the White House (explains the apron). She took us on a tour of the apartment that Doug will be staying in and even invited us to go boating with them this summer. The apartment is not incredibly fancy like the house, but for $500 it is excellent. It also just so happens that her next door neighbors are high up in the company where Doug just got his new job. She told us that she's SO excited to introduce us to them.

This place is kind of unbelievably good for the price so I'm actually a little hesitant. The whole time we were there, I was looking around trying to figure out if these people were some kind of ax murderers luring us into a trap, but I found no reason to actually be suspicious. We haven't figured out any reason that he shouldn't stay there. It's super close to where he'll be getting trained and she isn't even requiring a deposit.

So I guess it's meant to be?

3 comments:

  1. All I can say is.... The Lord provides! Continue to be valiant and you will continue to be blessed. I am so glad everything is working out :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She thinks Doug is cute and wants to steal him away from you!

    (Just kidding....)


    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually thought about that... but figured Doug wouldn't go for a lady in her 50's even if she was rich.

    ReplyDelete