Friday, March 6, 2009

Empty House = Loneliness

So Doug and his dad are gone this weekend spending time at grandma's house while his dad is in town. I'm sad I can't be there and I'm even sadder that I'm stuck home alone. Well, actually I haven't really gone home much. I worked until late last night and came right home to go to bed.

Doug will be moving into his place in Annapolis starting the weekend of March 14th. I will miss him terribly, but at least I will see him on the weekends and we can talk on the phone every night. A luxury my navy wife sister was not allowed while her husband was out to sea and she was at home pregnant.

With Doug gone, it will be different at home. Coming from such a large family, I'm uncomfortable with silence. Maybe I'll have time to try to do that list of things that I have always said I would do. On that list is sewing, cooking extravagant meals, digital scrapbooking, taking beautiful pictures, and decorating the bare white walls of my house. I have quite a few roadblocks before I actually can start doing these things. I don't have a sewing machine yet because I'm not ready to make an investment on something that I don't actually do yet. I like to cook, but I have no one to cook for. I need a better computer to do my scrapbooking and actual scrapbooking doesn't have a Ctrl Z(undo). I'm working on the taking pictures thing, but it's a little frustrating right now because I don't have anyone to photograph. I'm not sure if I should decorate my house right now if we are potentially moving. It's just extra stuff to pack up and nail holes to fill in when we leave. All excuses, I know! Maybe I should just make my goal to ramble on my blog. I'm good at that!

I keep on thinking that I need to make some more friends. All of the women at church close to my age have kids and I don't fit into that group right now. My visiting teaching companion is great, but once again I think we are at different stages in our lives. I am friends with the teachers at school, but it's kind of awkward going to hang out with them at bars when I don't actually drink. Doug is my best friend and I love hanging out with my family, but I'd still like to branch out some. I worry some days that I have forgotten how to make lasting friendships with how often I have moved lately.

Blogging makes me feel connected to people even though in reality I'm not sure if that's really accurate. (One reason being that only like 3 people read my blog!) Hopefully this will keep me from burning out while I work like a crazy woman for the next 5 months to fill the void.

I'll stop complaining now and get to work! :)

7 comments:

  1. I am so right there with you when it comes to the no kids thing. Every married couple in my ward has at least 1 kid. Sometimes it is almost awkward having all the women close to our ages all having kids. It doesn't make me want a kid to join their "group" or conversation, it just makes me want more friends...or makes me feel like I don't belong. I so wish we lived closer to each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Confession: I have a kid. :) But at least I can say I've definitely been there done that! And with my introvert personality and trying to juggle schedules, having a kid really didn't help with the making lasting friends thing! But I lived in Wymount for 2 years without a kid and literally everyone else had one, so I totally know how you feel, and it's hard. But good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, as far as the no kids thing -- Those with kids still LOVE to hang out with people who don't have kids. Sure they may say some annoying things like "just you wait..." or "I struggled with nursing..." And then of course, it is an awkward moment. But really, all of James' and my best friends are kidless, and we have a blast. The benefit of hanging out with people like us, is that when the kid starts crying you can hand them back to their mom. :o) So branch out. Make friends. You are such a likable person, you won't have a hard time at all. You just have to put yourself out there. Being in different stages is a great opportunity to learn from others. When people are in the same situation they just talk about the same old. My vote is to get out there, take pictures, hang out with new friends, go running, cook fancy meals and take it to one of your new friends, etc. Oh yeh and you won't ever sew until you get a machine. I never did. Now i have one, and I made a quilt last week and am making Grace a Tutu this week. :o) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i win for longest comment on a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry one more thing: All of our friends WERE kidless...until they fell in love with Grace and now 2 of them of are prego. hahaha. So, just a warning.:o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, you always have a friend in me :). That would pretty much SUCK to live alone in a house, especially coming from a family as large as yours. Hang in there, and maybe you could talk Doug into some cute little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the encouragement ladies! I've just been a little sad since I've been thinking about Doug living so far away. A little good news though... Doug's training thing is later than we had anticipated so he won't be gone so soon. The lady that we're renting from even was willing to change the dates of his contract and wait till a little later so we could save some money.

    ReplyDelete