Today in reading we were doing an author's purpose sort. The students were to cut out words (like advertisement, cookbook, science fiction, encyclopedia, etc.) and sort them into the author's purpose categories telling if the author is trying to persuade, inform, or entertain.
I came upon one student doing his sort and noticed that he had the word "Fantasy" in the persuade section. I had a feeling that he was unsure of the meaning of fantasy so I asked him. He responded,
"A fantasy is when you dream about a girl."
I kept a straight face and informed him that I was looking for something more like, "Fantasy is a fictional genre." or "Harry Potter is an example of fantasy." He quickly was able to place it under the entertain section and didn't think anything of it.
Where do they learn this stuff?
Hahaha, that's funny. Typical guy:)
ReplyDeletei like this. that's hilarious.
ReplyDeletenow I have to back track to when I was all confused a few posts ago - weren't you trying to find a reason to come home? you were just working all the time? as in, Doug wasn't there so you just worked and worked, and ate ramen noodles and went to bed and read?
Well that's what I thought anyway. so I Was trying to give you things to make you excited to come home and do so you weren't just doing the same old thing everyday and missing doug.
however, it sounds like I misunderstood. haha. Sorry about that. Take my suggestions later whenever you DO need an idea of something to do. :o)