Friday, December 7, 2012

Baby Stuff?!?

I was very hesitant to start looking at baby stuff this time around. Last time, when I had my miscarriage, I had been a big dummy and made a registry the day after I found out that I was pregnant. I kept on getting reminder emails afterward and it was incredibly painful.

This time I waited until I was around 20 weeks to even start looking. Holy crap! There is A LOT of baby stuff...cribs, bouncers, car seats, gliders, changing tables, bibs, strollers... the list goes on and on! I started over Thanksgiving break and was becoming completely overwhelmed. Not only was I concerned about the financial impossibility of purchasing all of these items, but I also wanted to get good stuff that I would need and actually use.

I delved into all of the research and read hundreds of reviews on everything from strollers to baby spoons. I thought I would feel better, but it all felt so complicated. How did women do this whole parenting thing before bathtub rubber ducky thermometers and video baby monitors?

I want a stroller, but I know that I'll probably end up getting one of those simple umbrella strollers eventually so why should I invest in something that is so bulky that I'll use for such a short time? Answer: infant stroller that will work as a jogging stroller. Problem: the one I want is cheaper and everyone talks about how the straps get tangled up in the infant car seat. Is that a deal breaker?

What about getting a breast pump? Oh man, are those things expensive!!! I'll be staying home, but I want to introduce a bottle and allow Doug some bonding time with our little girl. I also think that it might be nice to be able to just take a bottle out in public instead of yanking my boobs out all the time. What if Doug and I are lucky enough to have a date night and my parents are baby sitting?

Do I really need a bouncer, a swing, a play mat, etc? I hear and read conflicting views about how, "The bouncer saved my life!" Or "My daughter was never really interested in the swing." I don't know what my little girl will prefer.

Don't even get me started on nursery colors!

I was at my wits end with baby stuff and about ready to give up on it all when I grabbed Doug's baby book off the top of our bookshelf in the bedroom one morning. I only needed to flip through the first couple of pages to feel better. Doug was a BYU baby and his parents were POOR college students when he was born. They had basically nothing and he turned out just fine!

I don't need to worry about all of this stuff! It will all be OKAY. Any helpful advice about baby things though would definitely be appreciated. :)

I took some grainy pictures of some pictures in Doug's baby book with my iPad, so I will leave those with you.



10 comments:

  1. Do you have a friend near you that could loan you the big items to see if your baby likes them? Like you said, each baby's different. Houston (my first) was in love with the bouncer thing, but hated the swing. We at least were able to test the swing out beforehand, so we didn't get it...Phew!

    My favorite items (no matter the baby) would be the Bumbo chair and Baby Bjorn. The bumbo was recalled a while back, but now it has straps. You're just not supposed to leave it on a high surface... Although when my babies were small enough I put them on the counter while I cooked and both baby and I loved it! As for the Bjorn, they're expensive (unless you get yours used like we did), but soooo worth it. We used ours all the time both at home and on outings. But don't get a knock-off brand even if you might be tempted to spend less. They don't even compare. We made that mistake with the first, so trust me, don't bother with the cheaper stuff.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the realization you've come to is just right. You need diapers, blankets, a car seat, some clothes and a Mom to start with. You'll figure everything else after that. I held Mason most of the time when at home. He was a good baby and I just loved holding him. I never had a bouncer. I didn't get a nice stroller until baby #2. I had a swing, which I used a lot with the younger kids, out of necessity but they only use it for part of that first year, and I don't recall any of them really loving it. They'd rather be held. But to be free up your hands to accomplish something for a few minutes, the swing helped. Apparently the bouncers may even be better depending on the child.

    We've had several strollers over the years. Once they are big enough to sit upright, they can use the little umbrella strollers and those are light weight and easy to port around. Also, there are lots of garage sales in the spring, and a lot of this stuff you can find in garage sales in really good shape. We got our jogger stroller (that I love) for $10 bucks at a consignment sale at the church on the corner. In fact, I'd be happy to pass it on to you. I think Cooper is getting a bit big for it anyway! So exciting!

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Confession: I have never been to a garage sale in my life! It's not even that I have any problem using other people's stuff. I've just never stopped by because I felt weird just stopping at someone's house and digging through their stuff... And also I never have cash on hand. I think I may need some help to do these things. They make me nervous! :)

      Delete
  3. Speaking as someone who cried at BB&B from the stress of a bridal registry, I still thought registering for baby was worse!

    Now, here's my two cents:

    I agree with you on the stroller issue, but my solution was different. I got a stroller frame that the carseat straps into (snap'n go. $15 on craigslist). Then when he was too big for the carseat, we got a mid-range umbrella stroller that had a basket.

    As for research, I really like consumersearch.org

    Also, because of the Affordable Care Act, it is mandatory for your insurance to cover a breast pump. It's all new, so make sure you talk to the right person. I was originally told it was covered 100%, but the guy got it wrong and on our plan it's only 50%. Still, that's a lot! Maybe register for a really good hand pump (medela!), and hopefully someone will buy it for you. Then you can take it back if you end up going through insurance. (You would prob have to order through a med supply place)

    I think bouncers and swings are nice, but you probably only "need" one. Our bouncer WAS a lifesaver with Peter, but so far it's just been nice to have for Amelia. Mostly I like that we can put her down without worrying about him stepping on her haha.

    In any case, you are right, everything will be fine, and you really don't need much. Congrats and good luck with all the details!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several of my friends have had babies recently and this is the FIRST time I've heard anything about insurance covering part of the breast pump! I'll definitely have to look into that! Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Oh Jenny! WELCOME to the wonderful world of they have too much baby crap for sale. There will be so many that have advice for you, but they can only tell you what worked for their kid. Your baby will be different so just go with the flow. What worked for my baby was the BOB jogging stroller with an extension base that the graco car seat snapped into. I then bought a cheat 20 umbrella stroller for the ease factor. By the time you actually use a stroller, the umbrella may be all you need other than for jogging. I never used a stroller (other than the bob for walks) any other time. when she was small enough she stayed either in the car seat that came out of the car or my arms. When she was older, she could hold herself up and went in the stroller. Now she won't even consider a stroller unless I am running. she wants to walk. So you decide, but remember, you don't have to have everything before you have your baby. the only thing the hospital requires is a car seat and clothes to take your newborn home in! Oh and coming from a mom who pumped at work...Medela makes the best pumps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My "baby" is three now. We have a jogging stroller now. I totally wish I had skipped the carseat stroller. I used the two pieces together 3 times I think. Burp clothes made out of cloth diapers are still my friends. They clean up everything. Sign up for every coupon you can get at every baby company. They will send them forever. You do not need a diaper genie if you have a trash can and you don't need a bottle warmer. Heat a cup of water in mirowave and put in bottle in it. Pour on wrist. You don't need a wipe warmer. Take them out of the wipes box, ball them up in your hand and rub. You do need quite a few onesies and sleep 'bags'. Wipes and diapers. Vaseline. And Motrin for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I work on a mom/baby floor, I know a lot about the Obama law and requiring insurance companies to cover breast pumps. Our insurance covers Pump in Style, which is a good pump, especially for a healthy baby that breastfeeds mainly. Do not get a wipe warmer, they are pointless as you will find that you will not always have warm wipes, so just get your little one used to cooler wipes. My favorite stroller was my nicer umbrella stroller. I have owned the travel systems, I have a double jogging stroller, and my most favorite easy stroller was the Graco umbrella stroller with a basket underneath, and was $50. Buying a nicer umbrella stroller is worth it. Heather has used the snap-and-go for her two, and it is nice. The bouncer was nice, as it gives you a place to safely place baby, so that you can cook, eat, shower with baby close by. Babies can spit up and choke so easily, so I felt like this was something we needed. We also had a swing, but my kids LOVED LOVED LOVED their swings, but we did not buy swings until they were a few weeks old, and realized we needed one. I think you just go with the flow, and see what works. And I agree, bottle warmers are pointless. My favorites purchases were my Ergo baby carrier, pricey, but something I have used with both boys, and can carry in the front, side, and back. And then I loved my side sleeper, especially for feeding. All of the extras, they are just stuff. Good luck Jenny! You will be a wonderful mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So this may be a silly question, but do you know if it depends on the type of insurance you have whether or not something is covered and are there only specific ones that are covered like the manual ones?

      Delete
  7. I would call your insurance company and see what they cover. Every one of them here cover an electric breast-pump, and I think the two I have seen at AF are the Medela Pump-in-Style and the Ameda electric pump. They also are now required to cover lactation sessions, and actually, you could call a lactation clinic, or the the hospital, and they should know which pumps are covered by your insurance too, although it is newer legislation.

    ReplyDelete