About three weeks ago, I got the anatomy scan that you usually get around 20 weeks. We were overjoyed and surprised to find that we were having a girl. (I had been thinking boy all along!) I remember back to the ultrasound thinking that the ultrasound technician was being REALLY thorough. Doug and I were in there for almost an hour!
I remember during the ultrasound that the technician kept on measuring these two smallish black spots on the brain, but it didn't alarm me at the time because I know nothing at all about how ultrasounds are supposed to look. They told me at the end of the appointment that results would be back within the week and then I could discuss them with my doctor. I figured if there was anything really bad that the radiologist looking over it would let me know right then, but we were free to go with a smile and a congratulations from my technician.
Fast forward two weeks... I realized that my appointment wasn't for another whole week and I just want to MAKE SURE that everything was okay. I called and the nurse set up a phone appointment with my doctor for that evening. Whenever my doctor called, she seemed confused and told me that she usually does this appointment in person so she can show you the images. I told her that I didn't need the in depth review just yet and that I just wanted to make sure that everything was okay.
She paused for a moment and then said that she doesn't like to talk about ultrasound abnormalities on the phone because her patients usually get really upset. It hadn't even dawned on me at that point that I was the patient she was referring to that might get really upset.
Without warning, she started rambling on about something called choroid plexus cysts. I didn't even realize that she was talking about something that showed up on my baby... I just thought she was talking about some issues that some OTHER babies had sometimes. Then it dawned on me... she was talking about MY BABY. I got a little weak in the knees and started pacing.
She told me that USUALLY the cysts were nothing and that they should go away soon. Their presence is not damaging at all to the baby or her brain and that ALL babies have them, but they usually go away by 20 weeks. The only reason their presence was noted at all is that there is a link between their later presence and some genetic abnormalities (trisomy). EVERYTHING else from the ultrasound was great and that itself was very indicative that everything would be okay. For one thing, babies with trisomy usually curl their fingers and we had several shots of Leah's hands with all five fingers straight out. She told me that it REALLY was probably nothing, but that they were going to schedule a follow-up ultrasound to look again.
She was surprised at how calm I was (more like in shock and unable to speak or react) and said that she would talk to me more in depth in just a week and that they would be scheduling another ultrasound. She made me promise not to do any scary google searches. I promised (mostly because I had no clue how to spell choroid plexus).
I was doing fine, REALLY. My doctor said that there was nothing to worry about and well... She does this for a living, so I had no reason not to trust her. I continued doing fine until Saturday evening when I started worrying. I was talking to my mom about it and suddenly got all emotional. I told her that it didn't matter if anything was wrong with my little girl's brain because I loved her already, but I was worried that it would be something that would shorten her life. I asked my dad to give me a priesthood blessing of healing and comfort that Sunday and I started to feel better.
I had my official appointment with my doctor Tuesday after school. We went over the prior 20 week ultrasound results and everything looked really good besides the cysts. My doctor still was not concerned because nothing else on the ultrasound came up as abnormal. I felt very blessed that there was an appointment the very next day at the ultrasound place, so I wouldn't need to wait and worry any longer.
I went on Wednesday right after school and actually had the same tech as before who was extremely nice and thorough. Leah looked great on the images. She had moved herself out of breech position (which I definitely remember feeling!) and seemed pretty comfortable in a head down position. I talked more with the tech during the scan and before I knew it, she was done and talking to the radiologist. When she came back, I asked her if the cysts were gone. She hesitated at first but then told me they were... and that I didn't hear it from her. ;)
So at this time, I'm especially thankful for good news and for a healthy, active baby girl.
I am so glad that everything is ok! I can only imagine how worried you were (and continue to be, how can the worrying stop?). So glad the next scan was clear! :)
ReplyDelete