Sunday, December 9, 2012

Good Luck Charm

There is an optional ultrasound that you can get done around 12 weeks called the Nuchal Translucency Test. It is basically a detailed ultrasound where they look at the thickness of the skin on the back of the baby's neck along with other data from blood work to determine the chances for downs and trisomy.

I decided to go ahead and opt for this test mostly because I wanted Doug to be able to see an ultrasound of the baby. There is a very strict window of dates during your pregnancy that they need to schedule it for and Doug had only been back from his travels for 48 hours whenever we had the appointment.

I still wasn't showing too much at this point, but as soon as the tech put the little ultrasound transceiver thing on my belly, I could see a BABY in there with a face and hands and everything!!! I know it's a silly thing to say, but before in earlier ultrasounds the baby looked more similar to a kidney bean than a baby.

The ultrasound tech was great and took her time to show us a lot of great shots of the baby. After a while of her scanning, I said something to the point of, "Will we get to see the baby move?" She replied that she would be waking the baby up in a second, but that she was still taking some measurements. Immediately after the tech said that, but before she jostled the baby, the baby started stretching out and moving around. It was an amazing experience that I will never forget! I hope our little girlie is as good of a listener outside of the womb as she has been inside!

I asked out of curiosity if they could do 3D ultrasounds and the next thing I knew, the tech switched wands and image changed to 3D. I could see the baby's fingers and even her cute little butt! The tech then gave us a DVD with captured video from the 3D ultrasound! Afterward, we went to speak with the doctor who reviewed our results and told us that our chances for downs or trisomy were as low as they possibly could be!

It was a good visit! :)

We decided to go to Capital Grille, this crazy expensive steak place in Tyson's Corner, to celebrate. The waitresses seated us in this awesome corner booth where we could sit next to each other and talk. It was perfect! When our waiter came to the table, he asked us if we were celebrating anything in particular that night and I of course pulled out my long stream of ultrasound pictures. :) Several of the wait staff came by to congratulate us and ooh'ed and ahh'ed over our little baby.

Doug and I usually dine on the cheap if we decide to eat out at all, but this particular night we ordered lobster bisque soup, side dishes, and the tastiest looking steaks we could choose irregardless of the price. We were enjoying our soup and Doug was telling me all about his travels in Europe when we noticed this huge party of expensively dressed execs filling up the party room directly next to us. There was a man nearby talking to the manager that seemed to be in charge of the party that kept on eying our table. I whispered to Doug, "I think he's coveting our table."

Not 10 minutes later, our waiter came over extremely apologetically and asked us if we might be able to move to a different table, so that the overflow guests from the party might sit there. We would have happily moved anyway, but then he said that the gentleman hosting the party had asked if he could pay for our meal to express his thanks. UM YES! We had already accumulated over a $150 dollar dinner bill for just the two of us without even ordering dessert.

..we got dessert. :)

This little girl is my good luck charm!

Here are her ultrasound images from 12 weeks 6 days.







No comments:

Post a Comment