Thursday, December 6, 2012

Paradigm Shift

Right now I'm home sick from school with some sort of cold/flu thing. It sucks. I just want to be able to breathe through my nose again and not feel all achy.

So all of this time in bed has given me time to think. Becoming a mom has been something I have dreamed of my whole life and now at 22 weeks pregnant, it is turning into more and more of a reality. I can feel my little girl moving daily now and I am so excited to meet her in April!

As if becoming a parent isn't a big enough change, I'm now thinking about how my life will be as a stay at home mom. It has been mine and Doug's plan from the beginning for me to stay home with our children. We are not loaded by any stretch of the imagination, but we are really good savers and not very good spenders. These two things combined with the fact that it took freaking FOREVER to get pregnant have allowed us to prepare for this day financially.

I truly do love my job... especially with the amazing group of kiddos I have in my room this year. I'm having a really hard time saying goodbye to the teaching profession even if it only is temporarily while I raise my family. The parents that have asked about next year have all been visibly disappointed when I tell them that I'll be staying home. I expected a bunch of "Good for you's!" and "They don't stay young forever!" Instead I got, "I was hoping you could be (younger siblings)'s teacher." and stuff like, "You have a gift for teaching. You shouldn't leave!!!"

The people-pleaser in me wants to make all of these people happy. I mean, there are tons of GREAT moms that do it every day... work full time and parent. I just don't know if I can be one of them. Teaching to me is more than a full time job. Yes, there is the grading and planning that happens outside of school, but it is MORE than that. I am 100% dedicated to my students each year. They are my life. I think about them when I drive home, sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night worrying about them, and they are usually one of the first things I think about in the morning. Is that weird?

I don't think that I can give 100% to them and still have enough left for my little family. I honestly don't know how people balance it all. If I am going to teach, I want to do it the way I always have. My job makes me really happy most days and is very fulfilling. I worry that I'll miss it terribly. My friends at work tell me, "When you hold her in your arms the first time, none of it will matter!" I've seen huge changes in my friends that have become parents recently and I still think it is the craziest thing. I feel this big change coming in my life and I have no clue how I am going to be afterward.

My plan right now is to work up to spring break which is the last week in March this year. Over the past 6 years that I worked for the county I'm in, I have only taken maybe 2 sick days (not counting this week) so fortunately I have a TON saved up. This will allow me to have a few weeks at home to prepare for our little girl's arrival if she is on time for her April 11th due date. A BIG part of me wants to work up to my due date, but I hate to lose the 30 plus sick days that I will have remaining AFTER I take my maternity leave. Right now, when someone asks me my due date, I tell them the beginning of April. ...darn guilty conscience.

My life sure is changing quickly. I'm gearing up for a major paradigm shift!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you Jen! Not just the being pregnant part, but also for the part where you realize how important it is to be home with your daughter. I'm not gonna lie- it's going to be a tough transition. I had a month long melt down when August rolled around and I wasn't going back to school (as a student or a teacher!). It was the first time in 18 years! And I was living in a tiny apartment (thankfully you don't have to deal with that!), feeling completely stuck. My son was born in January, but it didn't hit me until August what a life-changing decision it was to quit teaching. But I have to say, since that one awful August, I've never regretted my decision or ever looked back. It's also fun when your kids get old enough to pull out some of your old teaching material :)

    Hopefully it won't be so hard on you like it was for me, but if it is, know that I'm out there thinking of you and being happy for you!!

    -Jen Beckstrand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! It's nice to know that others have gone through the same thing!

      Delete
  2. I'm so excited for you and happy for your little one that you are staying home. It is a huge sacrifice, but so worth it. You are an amazing teacher, but you aren't giving up teaching. You are teaching someone who is going to make a difference in the world just like you are. You will be teaching someone that you will love even more than any of the students you have ever taught. And you'll be thinking about that baby all the time. You will be teaching from day one without even realizing it. This little baby will depend on you 100% at the start and for the first year or so, pretty much everything she learns will be from observing you and the surroundings you've put her in. That is a really rewarding feeling. You are the most qualified to take care of this little girl you've been entrusted with. You will know her better than anyone here on earth. You'll have insight as a Mom that no one else will have. And when homework rolls around for your daughter, that will be nothing for you! I am so thrilled for you. And everyone with upcoming 4th graders (including me:) can just get over it!! I support you 100%!

    ReplyDelete