I have to do a little backtracking on my blogging because I waited so long to go "public," but I wanted to share a few stories from earlier in my pregnancy.
About a week or so after we found out that I was pregnant, Doug found out that he was going to need to take a last minute trip to Germany for work for the next 5 1/2 weeks! Yuck!
A couple of days after he left, the morning sickness started to kick in. I was really bummed because my mom was one of those lucky people that did not experience morning sickness with any of her kajillion pregnancies. My morning sickness was a slight annoyance at first with just some minor nauseous feelings, but I was surviving just fine. About a week in (the first week of school coincidentally) the "morning" sickness started to get worse. It got to the point where I was puking almost daily in the shower and during my 45 minute morning commute. Luckily at school I just felt queasy and only had to step out of the classroom about a half a dozen times or so a day to pull myself together. I would then leave school ASAP and end up puking on the way home.
It was during this time that I ended up telling my principal I was pregnant because she wouldn't leave me the heck alone over my plans not being done. I was about ready to chew her out, so it was a good thing I told her. :) I don't think that I was necessarily hormonal... I just didn't feel good about 16 hours of the day every day and it made me not a happy or very nice person.
My class was wonderful during this time and an absolute blessing. I was sure they were wondering what in the heck was wrong with me. Sometimes I would randomly stop teaching in the middle of the lesson and walk out of the classroom or just sit at my desk with a trashcan between my legs and ask them to read for a couple minutes. No questions asked. They just went a long with it! My class should be sainted.
My house became a total disaster. I had been forcing myself to eat breakfast every morning, but when I couldn't finish it, I would leave whatever it was on the floor for Darwin to eat. (Here cat, have some oatmeal.) Darwin doesn't even eat people food, so I ended up having an accumulation of eggs and cereal bowls collecting on my kitchen floor! Yeah, haha it was a sight to see! :)
It turned out that the time difference between Germany and the United States was a lot less convenient than Thailand and Doug and I were only able to actually talk about 1-2 times a week. It sucked and I complained a lot. Glad that's over with.
I finally caved and asked for the anti-nausea medication that my doctor offered. It helped take the edge off of some of the sickness and return some of my functionality. I was able to get my house picked up enough to host a dinner with my family for my brother in law, Jon, to visit on his way to the Middle East for 6 months. It really helped me keep the 5 1/2 weeks that I was complaining about in perspective.
It was during this time that I took my first belly shots. The first in the red shirt was at 6 weeks (I think I was probably pushing my belly out in excitement. Haha!) and the other one was around 9 weeks. I also got two early ultrasounds. One at around 7 weeks and then one at 9 weeks to officially date the pregnancy. (When I called to tell my doctor I was pregnant, I could hear her jumping for joy on the other end of the phone, so she prematurely scheduled my first appointment a little early resulting in the next one being only 2 weeks later.) The picture I posted is of the nine week ultrasound. I was fortunate enough to hear the heartbeat both times.



I think the second picture is one you sent to me asking if people will be able to tell you're pregnant!! Also, I don't know why I didn't think of this when you were going through it but you can barrow Ellie during your next pregnancy...she can help with any dishes you need cleaned ;)
ReplyDelete