For those of you not on Facebook with me, you may not have heard the news.
After years of trying naturally unsuccessfully, surgery, and then other medical interventions, it took just one month of COMPLETELY giving up to it to happen. No fertility drugs, no counting, no temping, no sex... Well just kidding on the last one. ;)
I just wish I would have known giving up worked so well earlier! It would have saved three years of heartache. Giving up for me was the hardest part though. It was the conclusion that I had come to after I realized that I didn't have much fight left in me. My raw emotional state, the monthly roller coaster ride, and the harsh medical interventions I had been going through had all been trying on my marriage and on me personally. I had to honestly accept that it might just be Doug and I and that I was going to have to be OKAY with that.
I do realize that I could not have gotten to this point without my doctor. I also realize that my Heavenly Father had this planned all along for me. I couldn't have planned it better myself! I can honestly say LOOKING BACK that learned a lot about patience and planning and I grew a lot through my experiences.
PLEASE don't let me be one of those stories that you tell your friends who are having fertility issues. "I had this one friend that just gave up after YEARS of trying and now she's pregnant!" Although well-meaning, it does absolutely nothing to make your friend feel better and in fact makes her feel more defective. Just be there to listen and be supportive.
Finding out:
It was Wednesday, the first day of August and I had just gotten back from a day at Lake Anna with my friend Caitlin and her family where I got to do some kneeboarding. (pretty successful kneeboarding, I might add!) My arms were pretty sore still a couple days later, so I decided to take some ibuprofen (I hadn't taken the stuff the whole three years we were trying to get pregnant.) I hadn't done any counting the whole months of July or beginning August, so I honestly didn't even know when I was going to get my period. As I was going to bed a couple days later that Friday night, I started doing some back counting in my head and realized that I was three days late. I made a conscious decision to not get my hopes up and just go to bed.
The next morning on Saturday, I woke up a little before 5 and decided that I was going to test. There were two pregnancy tests in my bathroom cabinet. One of them was a first response and the other was one of those more expensive clear blue pregnancy tests that my friend had given me once she found out she was pregnant. I had decided in my head a while ago that the clear blue one would be the one that I would use when I REALLY thought I was pregnant. I have lost count of how many of those darn first response ones I have seen with negative results.
Anyway, I decided to use the first response one because I wasn't going to get my hopes up and it turned out unmistakably positive.
What?!?!?!?
I started shaking immediately, fell to my knees, and said a long, tearful prayer of thanks.
I'm going to be a mom to my little girl due in April!


Even though I knew the details I'm still ready eyed!!! I'm so glad I get to be apart of your pregnancy. I hope our girls like each other because they are going to be forced together a lot :)
ReplyDeleteThat was supposed to be teary eyed.
ReplyDeleteSounds like my story...Had to wait a several years to try to conceive because of medical and life problems. Then we finally try and 10 months go by...I finally think I am not going to ever have a baby and then, August 8th, 2008 I get that positive. My son Luke was born April 14th, 2009. Congrats and I hope everything goes smoothly for you both!
ReplyDeleteLOVE this post! I honestly started to cry when I saw your announcing facebook status! I am so happy for you!! You will be an AMAZING mother! That is one blessed little girl to be coming into your home! :) Congrats again!!
ReplyDeleteLike Haylee I cried too. What a true miracle a baby is. How wonderful that you are going to be a mom and that Doug is going to be a dad. I'm sure she has both of your wrapped around her little fingers already. Hopefully your pregnancy so far has gone smoothly. You look super cute with your tiny little baby bump. Congratulations Jen, we are so happy and can't wait to see your little girl.
ReplyDeleteYeah, yeah, yeah!!! I'm so excited for you guys! Although your experience is different than mine, this was how I felt when I got pregnant with Mason. Although my plan was to get pregnant sooner, the Lord's plan happened to be way better than mine, and it all worked out great. We are very excited about your new arrival over here! In fact, I'm pretty sure, Kailey will be happy to babysit any time!:)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, that's great news!
ReplyDelete