Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Name Game

So, our little girl needs to have a name... I've always loved long family names with stories behind them, but I was kind of striking out. I loved many of the names of our little girl's aunts and great aunts, but there are so many of them that most of the names I liked are taken! This little girl will have 9 aunts! Combined with the fact that I've been teaching for 7 years, there were a lot of names put on the chopping block.

Luckily, the one thing that Doug and I have agreed on is that traditional names and Biblical names sound great to both of us. We were set for boy names. I really liked the name Luke Douglas. (and I still plan on using it for any name stealers out there. :P) My dad was already ready to say in his best Darth Vader voice, "chhh, Luke, I am your grandfather!"

Doug has had this mini obsession with Catholicism ever since his site seeing trip to the Vatican about a month ago while he was in Europe, so he put out there that he liked the name Mary. I like it too, but I'm not sure how well I like it with our last name. She might get some "Mary had a Little Lamb" jokes.

Recently, the name that I've fallen in love with is Leah.

Hopefully, I can find a good family middle name to pair it with. Maybe I'll be more sure once we get closer to her due date, but at this point I want to have my options open with a few names. I have this worry that I'll see her and think, "She's not a Leah!"

Now the only question is, do you think Leah will want a pink or purple room???? :)



4 comments:

  1. So fun! I'm so excited for you and your little girl! They are just a blast to put bows on, dress up and giggle with! Both nurseries are adorable! Where are you finding this cute stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats again! What an exciting time for you and Doug! I, naturally, love the name Leah-that's our little girl's name! She loves purple so that's what I associate with the name. The beauty of the nursery is that baby has no say-so go with what you like better! :) Best of luck with all your planning and preparing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the name Leah too but if you ARE planning on using the name Luke for your future boy...you will have a Luke and Leah, like Star Wars. Not that there is anything wrong with that but it's just something to think about. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that definitely is a problem that I had realized! :) I like Star Wars, but I'm not crazy about it like I-want-to-name-my-children-after-the-characters crazy. It would be pronounced Lee-yah and not Lay-ah, but the similarities are definitely there and are too close to ignore. If we have more kids and use more names besides Luke and Leah, I don't think it will be too much of an issue. I may just be going through an L name phase or something. Darn Star Wars! I just wanted some nice biblical names!

      Delete